Woodland RSPB sites help

I've only gotten into birdwatching over the past year or so. I've really enjoyed RSPB wetland sites near to me in South Yorkshire, you can see so much variety each time.

I had spare time today so visited Carr Vale which is a small site in Derbyshire, which is great as there's always lots of wetland wildlife and I even saw brown hares and a roe deer.

After I had plenty of time so thought I'd visit somewhere new, and so drove to Coombes Valley, as the RSPB mentions birds such as Ravens as their star birds, and Pied flycatchers and Redstarts at this time of year- none of which I'd ever seen. The site was open but no one at reception (I'm a lifelong RSPB member now) which was unforunate so got no tips, so I walked around the site and barely saw anything (I could hear loads and someone mentioned they could hear blackcaps and the redstart but no way of spotting them). It seems woodland rspb sites aren't so different from a walk in countryside woods! There were no hides as you can't predict where birds will be. I did catch a glimpse of a Jay and the pied flycatcher (very brief), but apart from those only the usual garden birds so it felt like a total waste of time.

It was much quieter than the wetland sites I've visited before which I can understand why now. But I'm not even sure where Ravens for example would be and why that site mentions them? They are a bird I've wanted to see for a long time, along with green woodpeckers. It was a frustrating trip and I won't be returning any time soon- but I'm still interested to know are there any other reccomended woodland RSPB sites? I'm interested in seeing woodland bird species as I've seen a lot of the usual bird species on wetlands now, but obviously living in trees makes them 10x harder to spot than on a lake! And any good sites to see ravens and green woodpeckers in particular? (jays also to some extent though I have seen them on a few occasions, I love their colours)

Also a totally unrealated question but I'd rather just ask here than make another thread. I've heard multiple owls (different calls so people think male and female probably tawny owls) calling regularly in the evening for the past couple of months at the top of my road. There are lots of trees in that area, but I've never had the luck of seeing one and I'd love to do so. I've walked past many times in the dark and heard a very loud hoot to my site but due to the darkness then I can't see them! Obviously I need to look at dusk, but any tips as to where to look and how to spot them? Would they still be likely in nests at that time and waiting until it gets fully dark to go hunting?

• Afraid I can't help Dan, but just bumping you up the page so someone who can may see the post
  • An unrelated answer.

Coombes Valley. At one time in history the location of the only known breeding pair of spars in Staffordshire.

The bench about half-way down the track from the visitor centre has a view over/into woodland on the other side of the watercourse. The older trees over that side of the valley have a pied flycatcher or two (or used to). Bins/scope required.

One of the trees near the footbridge over the stream at the bottom of the track used to be a place to watch a nesting wren (a cavity low down on the trunk).

The last time I was there (w-a-y before COVID) the pools were leaking. Apparently they were originally excavated with assistance of the army. If the pools are still there (and the leaks have been plugged) it's a good place to watch species of dragonfly later in the year.

It isn't exactly a small site and you can spend hours and hours being almost lost.

I see someone mentioned Padley Gorge. You could spend a week there. Autumn is when the interesting fungi emerge.

Tawnies will roost in daylight on branches. Spotting them is a bit hit-and-miss.
  • My last reply got flagged as spam, no idea why. Anyway I visited Carr Vale a small nature reserve and immediately saw a large black bird chasing away a buzzard (not the other way around!). Quite a sight and through binoculars it seemed larger wingspan than a crow and was soaring more, firstly flew and settled at the top of a tree, then later swooped down to grassy bank near the water before heading off. Couldn't get a good view of the tail to see if it was diamond shaped though! Is that typical behaviour- had to be a raven right!? :)

• Hello Swfcdan, I feel you need to dial back your expectations a little. To be brutal, nature doesn't perform on demand, there are too many variables. Time of day and year, for instance, are perhaps the two biggest variables. Quiet often, birds head off in the morning to feeding sites, only returning at dusk to roost.

Time of year plays a big part in whether you see birds, never mind all those pesky leaves that get in the way of your viewing in spring, summer and autumn. Late winter/early spring, there are lots of birds around as they are looking for nesting sites or strutting their stuff either looking for mates or fighting off rivals.

During spring, many birds 'disappear' as they are sitting on nests. By June/July there are suddenly a lot of birds around, as the fledglings have, well, fledged. Their parents are either looking after them or deciding to start another clutch, perhaps requiring more strutting. Therefore you'll be able to see more.

There are days, when I go to our local reserves, and see nothing. Not a dickie bird. Not even a Blue or Great tit. Go a week later and I'm like a kid in a a sweet shop. There are so many birds around, I don't know where to look or point my camera.

I would also hazard that you may not have worked your eye in to spot birds in a woodland environment. As you mention, you are experienced with wetlands, therefore you are probably very good at noticing birds there.

It's fascinating walking through woodland with my partner. She is not very experienced at spotting birds so misses them. I'm better, and so am always saying things like: 'There's a Blackcap there' or 'Can you hear the Dunnock, which is over there?' or 'There's a Great Spotted Woodpecker in that tree'. She then says, how do you spot them? Well, I've just taken lots of walks through woodland and got used to scanning trees and listening out for birds.

Forum members can offer many suggestions as to other great woodland sites to visit, but you may have the same issue causing you disappointment. I would suggest revisiting Coombes valley several times.  Get a feel for the place and where birds may appear. Try get there as early as possible during the day, and through different parts of the year. Take your time wandering around, enjoy the outdoors, breathe in all that good air. It is only by visiting our local reserves many times over the years that I've got a good idea what is there and where to see them. I also bump into a lot of 'birders' and most often they are more than happy to swap sighting information.

On one of the BBC watch programmes, probably SpringWatch, Iolo said he was going to show people the best way to catch sight of birds of prey, in a area where they were to be found. He promptly sat in a folding chair and waited. Other programs suggest just standing still. After a while bird life appears.

90% luck, 5% field craft, 5% camera skills.