Thrushes

I am fairly new to getting interested in bird watching. I've seen a good amount of variety now, either in my garden or out in reserves etc.

But a bird I've found very elusive are thrushes. I know very little about them, though I think I finally saw one at Carsington Water, around the reservoir a few weeks ago. There were two I spotted feeding on berries in a tree, they stood out immediately as a bird I didn't recognise and I got a pretty good look at one through binoculars. They looked as big as a blackbird size and had a speckled breast and a redish tinge to them (it was into the sun which probably enhanced their colour). Looking at the RSPB page on thrushes, it must have been either a song thrush or a redwing. Then just yesterday I saw a bird I noticed a bird in trees which I thought could be a thrush, but then I now realise that female blackbirds (which I do have in my garden) look similar so it seems tricky to tell them apart.

It was great to see one but now I'd like to see some more. I know they are another bird in decline and used to be more common in gardens which is seemingly a common story with bird species now. But where is a good place to look for them? I live in South Yorkshire and have been to reserves like Potteric Carr and Old Moor, but those are mainly wetland sites whereas thrushes are woodland birds. 

• It is quite possible that you did see Redwing as there are lots reported moving into the country for winter now. A Redwing would have had a creamy stripe over the eyes but that may not have been visible depending on available light and angle of view.
    Secondly it is worth remembering that the Blackbird is part of the Thrush family hence the confusion.