A few from our local reserves this week

Felixstowe is lucky enough to have two lovely reserves - Landguard and Trimley Marshes, which sit either side of the Port of Felixstowe.  We've visited each of them twice this week, and seen a suitable variety of birds:

I think this blackbird had literally just arrived!  It was sitting quietly, looking fluffed-up and knackered.

It was a bit windy.

A beautifully patterned young herring gull.

We are having a really good autumn where wheatears are concerned - we just keep on seeing them!

It's impossible to get tired of them.

Right, a few from Trimley now:

An obliging little grebe.  I've really missed seeing these - the hide I took this from only reopened this week.

With a suitable fish (looking a bit on the big side!)

A stunning marsh harrier.  It's brilliant to see these so close to home.

A remarkably dignified mallard pair.

Finishing with a herring gull showing off its considerable flight skills.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Great set of photos and species Clare and wonderful to see so many Wheatears in your local area. Bonus to get the Marsh Harrier too and who can resist all the other beauties including the cute L.Grebe. Is your blackbird ringed..... or is it my poor eyesight !

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:
    Is your blackbird ringed..... or is it my poor eyesight !

Nothing wrong with your eyesight, Hazy ....... it is indeed ringed.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• lovely photos Clare and a nice collection