Where would you go in England this weekend to see amazing wildlife?

I am having a dreadful week after a friend died very suddenly and unexpectedly and would like to go somewhere outstanding to see loads of birdlife this weekend to think and get away from it all.  Ideally raptors, but I'm happy as long as there's loads going on.  :)  looking for somewhere within 2-3 hours drive from Sheffield - I can stay overnight!  All ideas gratefully received. 

• Leighton Moss there are a lot showing not sure about Old Moor But Alan knows more about that place I have only been twice.
  • Sorry about the loss of your friend, Kiera.
    How about heading east. Frampton Marsh near Boston Lincs is supposed to be pretty good although I've not been there myself. A little further is the north Norfolk coast with Titchwell Marsh being the main reserve. With an overnight stop you might be able to combine both. Don't forget though it's half term in many areas so booking an overnight stay might be more tricky.
    Here's a link to the Twitter feed for RSPB Norfolk & Lincs
    twitter.com/RSPBNorfolkLinc
  • Thanks so much for the suggestions! Lots of lovely ideas to make my mind think of positive things :) I appreciate it.

Never been to Leighton Moss - it sounds amazing. I am pretty regular at Old Moor/Fairburn Ings, both lovely, but they don't seem to get those big winter flocks that you see at the coast! I went to Frampton a couple of weekends back, and what a site! The salt marsh/freshwater divide is just amazing. There was a ton of stuff there - only problem was that it was blowing an absolute hoolie (that day of the big gales). I think I got my first glimpse of a hen harrier, but it was very brief and I would love to see one for a bit longer. Going somewhere like that would be ideal.

Anyone been to Great Fen/Wicken Fen? Is there much there at the moment? I am a bit owl obsessed and would love to see one, I hear there are some shorties around? :)

I'd forgotten about half term, too, thanks for the reminder!
  • If you can stretch the journey to Suffolk, Havergate Island has some trips on Sunday (you need to catch a boat, so it's always a bit of an adventure).  Minsmere's just up the coast - I can guarantee you Marsh Harriers there!  If the sun's out, Adders have appeared too.  North Norfolk coast on the way if you prefer, Snettisham, Titchwell, Cley Marshes.  It's certainly where I shall be this weekend - Minsmere on Saturday, Havergate Sunday (got to check on the Hares :-))

• Sorry for your loss Kiera, You've had lots of good suggestions but one missing from East Anglia, not RSPB but WWT at Welney, there should be loads of wildfowl and visiting swans, they feed about 3.0/4.00pm each day so loads fly in. I've been to Wicken Fen, its NT and never really seen very much, loads of roadbeds with little open water.
    It is definitely half term, I was on N Norfolk coast at Holkham on Tues and it was heaving with familes & dogs but still very nice . Hope you can book somewhere.
  • Kiera said:

Anyone been to Great Fen/Wicken Fen? Is there much there at the moment? I am a bit owl obsessed and would love to see one, I hear there are some shorties around? :)

I would think so Kiera, I was there November last LINK >>>>>> SEO
  • Minsmere is one of my favourite places! I'm from Suffolk, though now live in Sheffield for work. I'm headed there for a whole week at Easter :) :) :) I am super jealous of those of you who can get there often!

Those are some lovely pictures of the owl, Jim!

I'm wondering about the North Norfolk coast/ around the Wash - whether I can get somewhere that's a bit away from it all. I don't think I'm very fit for human consumption at the moment, so a bit of peace and quiet would be good.
  • Kiera said:

I am having a dreadful week after a friend died very suddenly and unexpectedly and would like to go somewhere outstanding to see loads of birdlife this weekend to think and get away from it all.  Ideally raptors, but I'm happy as long as there's loads going on.  :)  looking for somewhere within 2-3 hours drive from Sheffield - I can stay overnight!  All ideas gratefully received. 

Kiera, first my condolences for your loss.

There are a couple of reserves your way, Carsington near Ashbourne is one that comes to mind, and Lathkill Dale (and a nice steady walk, no hills) often has quite a rich abundance of birds.

Though I've spent a lot of time in the Peaks, I'm from near to Birmingham, and with good motorway access (M1 M42, A446, A4091)there is Middleton Lakes near Tamworth, which I frequent and Brandon Marsh (M1, M69, A46, A45,) Coventry.

Both reserves are within three hours drive from Sheffield (I used to get from Birmingham to Doctors Gate on the edge of Bleaklow via Sheffield in a little under three hours), sadly I'm not knowledgeable on hotels or B&B's (I know more around Bakewell), however, Middleton Lakes is very near to the Belfry Hotel and Brandon Marsh is very close to the Citrus Hotel, Coventry.

I hope that helps.

• I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone for the suggestions. I feel like I have many weekends of great birding lined up now! I will definitely check out Middlesborough, and I have family in Coventry so those sites are definitely on the list.

I ended up going to Frampton Marsh and Freiston Shore, for a number of practical reasons. I saw a short-eared owl, and long billed dowitcher, and a hen harrier (very distantly) as well as little egrets, brent geese, and more golden plover than you can shake a stick at! There was a large coach party from RSPB Rainham Marshes there, who were really friendly and very kindly helped to point out birds I would otherwise have missed, so a big thank you and a shout out to them for making it special. (Rainham is definitely now on my must-visit list!)
  • Keira, You have just visited a couple of our favourite RSPB reserves (Frampton and Freiston) and hope you are able to visit Rainham Marsh soon because it is also one of our favourite reserves, along with Arne, Leighton Moss, Minsmere and a few others! I hope your visit provided some distraction from and a balm for your grief. Not much is better than staring at a beautiful bird to make you smile.