Mountain Hares in the Eastern Cairngorms?

Hi folks,

I‘m going to be in the eastern Cairngorms next weekend and would like to try and get some photos of mountain hares. Reasonably flexible in where I go in that area and happy to hike a few km, so could anyone advise good places to look? I’ve heard the Glenshee ski area might not be a bad shout, but suspect there are better, quieter, places around there...

Cheers, Geoff

• Just bumping your post back up to the top Geoff in the hope someone who's visited the Cairngorms sees your question and gives you some ideas of best places for mountain hares.     The only help I can offer is THIS LINK and area called Monadhliath but having never been there wait for others to advise you better.    Good luck.

• Thanks - the Monadhliath is also a very good place for wildlife, but it’s right on the other side of the Cairngorms so unfortunately out of range for this coming trip...

Cheers,
    Geoff
  • Thanks for the info on the mountain hares. In the end I went the the Glenshee ski area and spent an excellent day up on the northern flank of the Cairnwell where there was remarkably little snow but plenty of hares! I’ve made a short YouTube video from the trip: https://youtu.be/nIvlRkRlRLk

Cheers,
    Geoff
  • Absolutely stunning and enthralling video Geoff so thanks for sharing. I felt as if I was there watching those beautiful Mountain Hares and loved the footage taken and the slo-mo along with pics. I think the presenters on Countryfile better watch out as you are a total natural at commentating on the footage with such professional ease. Nice to see the red grouse at the end also.
  • That was absolutely brilliant, Geoff. The Mountain Hares are so beautiful and you've captured some wonderful footage of them. As Hazy has said it was all most professional. Thanks so much for sharing your photos and video on the Forum
    I've been watching reviews of the Nikon Z7 and everyone has been saying it's good for video and I think you've demonstrated just that.
  • Thanks for the kind words folks, and thanks Jim for sorting the link out! It was an absolute pleasure spending the day with the hares, and I'll certainly be back there again later in the year.

Cheers,
    Geoff
  • Wonderful shots of the adorable Mountain Hares. Thanks for letting us see your video, Geoff, and hope you post here again when you next visit the Hares of the Cairngorms.