Tawny Owlet update 18/05/10 Vane Farm RSPB

Hi all, I had the chance to return today and as you can see I failed to pass it up! what can I say I'm weak :-) Only two on view and at first I worried for the little one but on closer inspection at home, I think it may be the biggest one that has gone wandering and left the two smaller ones behind. Times a ticking here soon they will be away! :-(

As you can see they are much bigger now and will try to make themselves look as big as they can!

As well as the Owlets I met two very nice young Ladies who share our passion, armed with cameras too! In all the excitement I never got their Site names, or real name for that, but I'm sure they said they used this site so hello again if you do and feel free to post some of your shots of the day here. 

Anyway to the rest I hope you enjoy as I did.

John :-)

For viewing or photography right place right time is everything. I'd rather be in the right place with poor kit than have the best kit and be in the wrong place.

• Hi John,

Oh the cute factor of your photos are just too much!  Are they dosing in the third photo, they look like they are just about to nod off!  Thanks John, what a lovely set of photos to share.  What will you do when they leave?  It would be lovely if you could track them, will they stay in the area or will they move off to their own?

• Thanks Kezmo, I think they are hiding eyes from bright sun. They will move off gradually but by the end of Autumn they will not be welcome in this territory and encouraged to go!

For viewing or photography right place right time is everything. I'd rather be in the right place with poor kit than have the best kit and be in the wrong place.

• What a shame for you, as you are getting so much pleasure by visiting them.  Will they move far away or do they stay on the outskirts of where they were bred?

• Great photos as per H.McH -   We had 4 young ones on Sunday at RSPB Ken Dee,  They had obviously only fledged earlier in the morning. Two were together on a branch and another on  a tree at other side of track and the fourth which I almost walked past bit did a double take. I thought at first it was a clump of sheep wool, lying in at the dyke. No another young tawny lying so still.  He'd obviously not made the height on maiden flight. Looked absolutely fine though and keeked with one eye at us,  the adult was close by. Alll still quite downy looking.

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Spike Milligan

• Oh No, they can't leave. Selfishly, I have so enjoyed seeing these lovely birds develop through your fabulous photographs. I will miss them. Thank you John.

I must go and look at your other photographs now.

• This has been a real journey John and one I have very much enjoyed. It must bring such pleasure to follow their development so closely. Your photos are fantastic, they are coming on in leaps and bounds now, it will be sad to see them go.

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Thanks all, Soosin 4 Owlets wow! So tempting maybe just a touch far??? Pictures would be great!

John :-)

• Hi John, great shots.

I have been ringing Tawny Owlets for the last few weeks, this year has been really good upto now for broods.

It was somewhat surprising as we thought the numbers would be down after the severe winter. Off the top of my head we must have ringed forty plus.

At least fifteen pairs with two - three chicks.

It is a joy to see yours doing really well.

Thanks again.

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• will put photos on when OH downloads them.  4 'hoolets'   - maybe a bumper year for voles???? after such a harsh winter as well. 

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Spike Milligan

• I wonder if they are expecting a long  dry spell and a surge in food!!