Return from Fuerteventura (Finalised)

Barbury Cyril says hi to his cousins in Cheshire

Spot the Houbara Bustard

Hoopoe

Lots of Desert Grey Shrikes

More when I get home next week.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks for your comments so far. The previous photos were posted via a Google Nexus tablet which was a bit of a challenge. Now I'm back I've been able to go through the photos in more detail and try to pick out the best of them. It's taken a while because in some cases they have required a fair amount of processing to make them acceptable. There were eight of us travelling in a mini van and unless you could get out without scaring away the birds I was shooting though glass. To make matters worse the glass was tinted so unless your were in the front seat with an opening window, photography was a bit of a challenge. Enough of the whinging, let's get on with the report.

Fuerteventura, for those that don't know it, is the second largest of the Canary Islands located just south of Lanzarote which you can see from the north of the island. Being closer to the African mainland than some of the other Canary islands it doesn't benefit from the moist air from the Gulf Stream and is thus very arid. Most of the landscape is desert or semi-desert. Ironically, the week before we arrived the island had received very heavy rain which had caused some flooding. All sorts of vegetation had started to sprout and our guide said he'd never seen it so green. While were there it was mostly sunny and warm with daytime temperatures typically in the range 22 - 26 C - lovely. Our typical day was to go out at about 7 am just as the sun was rising for a pre-breakfast walk, then breakfast at the hotel and then out for the rest of the day sometimes until dusk exploring various habitats.

So here's some of the stuff we saw, not necessarily in chronological order or concurrently.

Berthelot's Pipit which is endemic to the Canaries and Madeira. Common but not always easy to get close to.

This one seemed to have a warty growth on its feet.

This one was quite relaxed.

Hoopoes seemed quite common too. I'll add a couple more to the previous one.

Looking a bit affronted

Getting ready to face the day

Corn Bunting warming up in the early morning sun. Didn't see many of these 

Desert Grey Shrikes were all over the place. They are a very handsome bird in my opinion and relatively easy to see because they were always perched up and not timid. In Collins they are classified as a sub-species (koenigi) of the Great Grey Shrike but in some quarters they seem to be treated as a separate species. All very confusing.

Coughing up a pellet - probably the indigestible parts of insects that it had eaten.

Spectacled Warblers were also very common. Every little shrub seemed to have one singing but they were very mobile. Despite my best efforts this was the only usable photo I got. Very frustrating because I had good views of them through bins.

Believe it or not a goat farm proved to be quite a good place to find birds. Here we found Black-bellied Sand Grouse foraging on the stony ground. Quite difficult to see with their cryptic plumage

And in flight showing their black bellies.

A really rubbish photo of a Trumpeter Finch which was perched under the eaves of the Goat shed. I wish I could have got a better one.

On one of our visits to the Goat farm a Goat had given birth.

And was trying to give birth to a second. It seemed to be coming out the wrong way as you can see a leg sticking out.and seemed to be in some distress.

Our guide found a couple of Morrocans who worked there but they didn't seem overly concerned. However, they said they would fetch someone when they had said their prayers. Well, you've got to get your priorities right.

We saw some Egyptian Vultures and Buzzards starting to gather no doubt attracted by the afterbirth. Too far away for photos though.

Do you want a challenge? See if you can spot the bird in this photo and tell me what it is.  I'll give you a clue, it's just below the centre and only the head is showing. Unfortunately, it's a little out of focus because I couldn't find it in the viewfinder. LOL

To be continued .......

I'm pausing here before I lose the lot and anyway I'm going for a swim.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Grand report & pics so far TJ ... don't drown yourself please 'cos we want some more pics & the answer to 'wot bird!). I can see it but no idea of ID!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Great report with a fantastic variety of birds TJ. I think your mystery bird at the end is probably in its natural habitat among all those stones.

My bird photos HERE

• Ah, you mean the way its head is just curling around the rocks ;-) some nice birds there.

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Trumpeter finch!! that's what we thought we had visiting us some years ago, will put up a pic if I can find it later.   Great pics TJ, could cope with that temperature between 22 - 26c.  Just right to view when it's so rainy and windy here.

Lot to learn

• fantastic additions Tony and what beauties they are,  love the Desert Grey Shrike, stunning looking bird but can't really pick a favourite as they are all brilliant.   You did well to get such good photos when you were in a group and in a vehicle most of the time, as you say, its not easy to get clear shots but I would be proud of these.  

btw,  is your bird a Stone Curlew ?   only a wild guess  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Paul A said:
    I think your mystery bird at the end is probably in its natural habitat among all those stones.

Yes Paul  I think you've cracked it. How anyone spotted in the first place is beyond me.

Back from swimming so I'll resume.

By far the most common raptor was the Kestrel. We saw them on most days but not always easy to photograph especially through a glass darkly. Got to give Wendy her fix though 

Hunting on the ground

The only one I caught flying

Not sure what was their main prey - probably lizards.

Talking of lizards, I managed to snap this one. I think it's the Atlantic or Haria Lizard (Gallotia atlantica) which is endemic to Fuerteventura and Lanzarote.

On one barren hillside we spotted a large group (40+) of Barbary Partridge. Unfortunately, they spotted us too but I did manage to catch a few stragglers before they all legged it so to speak. As you will see an attractive bird quite similar to our Red-legged Partridge.

When we were crossing to the west coast we passed a mountain which was sacred to the former indigenous people. At a view point there was a statue erected as a tribute to those people.

I think they were somewhat smaller in real life than the statues would suggest. They were of course all wiped out by the Spanish conquerors. I'm not sure of the significance of the gesture that the figure on the left is making. LOL

While we were there we heard a bird call which none of us recognised. .On investigation we discovered this little chap.

Yes, a Blue Tit but not as we know it. This is an African Blue Tit (Cyanistes teneriffae) now treated as a separate species. Note the darker features with an almost black crown. Its call was more reminiscent of a Great Tit.

Another species which we saw quite often and which only breeds on the island is the Fuerteventura Stonechat. The colours are more muted than our home grown one and it has a white throat and a short white eyebrow.

Everone loves a Spadger don't they. On Fuerteventura they are all Spanish Sparrows (as far as I know). In the grounds of our hotel there was quite a colony of them which favoured a particular tree. In the evening they would be chattering away nineteen to the dozen no doubt discussing the affairs of the day. As I approached they would stop and watch me but would not fly off. I make no apology for posting several shots of these beautifully marked charismatic little characters.

I'm going to pause again. My computer has developed the unfortunate habit of crashing for no apparent reason and I don't want to lose the lot.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thank you so much for my Kestrels TJ, you did well to get such good images (I would be very pleased if I had taken them), such a handsome male & a beautiful female too with a flight shot thrown in ... aren't I the lucky one!!

All the others are pretty special too & will have to go back over them all!

Edit:  I think Stone Curlew too (oh, the wonder of Google!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Such beautiful photos Tony, you certainly saw a lot of species during your holiday and the weather sounded ideal for enjoying the great outdoors.  Next time, can you bring me back a couple of Spadgers for the garden lol   The Shrike would be nice too  ... and the Hoopoe .... and ... the Blue Tit is a bit special too, wonder what our BT's would think of it joining the flock  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Fantastic report again, Tony and such a wonderful variety of birds. Like Hazy I also love the Desert Grey Shrike-such a smart looking bird. The affronted Hoopoe is just lovely, in fact they all are.

Kind regards

Jenny