Wildlife pond

I have been busy making my pond into more of a Wildlife pond 

I used to have frogs but I havnt had any tadpoles this year and no frogs came back and cause my 2 fishes passed away Iv decided to make it into more of a Wildlife pond and I had to remove most of the Duckweed yesterday with my crabing net so I was wondering if anyone would like to see the progress of my Wildlife pond and the outcome after iv done everything so I thought Id do a post so people can keep up to date on it 

here is my pond before I removed all the duckweed 

After I got rid of most of the duckweed I found some water  slaters and after I finished a bee fly took some interest in the pond and checked it out then a drone fly had a drink. when I went out with Mum this morning I got some native watercress and removed the plants someone gave me for a fish pond

I was going to take an update photo when I spotted some rocks 

in the water so I had to get them out 

I got most of the leafs out aswell the watercress is on the right 

Im hopeing to attract other things not just frogs so im hopeing to attract pond skaters and other Wildlife that might benefit from it aswell

• There are now lots and lots of Knat larvae in my pond aswell as water slaters so I have more in my pond now than before im just waiting for a predator to come along to control the numbers
  • Iv bought some water forget me not aswell. My other plants have rooted The faster growing plant is taking over cause it’s roots have grown long and spread out and is making its way across the water but I managed to fit the water forget me not in the corner

• This is the water forget me not I got yesterday 

• new addition has arived in my pond possibly a blood worm.

The one on the right is a water slater The worms made holes which they keep poking there head out of. Going back in  Then comeing out and staying out for a certain time before going back in and it keeps opening It’s mouth 

• Hi! Your pond is looking great. My friend's mum has a lot of plant pots and bins, and everytime I go over we make a new pond or mantain the ponds with his hose and a large bag of sand.

Currently he has 4 ponds. One is a pink sledge thing which is about a metre long and is a rocky habitat with a lot of large boulders and rocks. It is also filled with water, but much shallower than the others and with a lot of dry spots. It is intended for snails and slugs, who sometimes come when we put leaf rafts in it.
    Sometimes stuff like gnats, midges, mosquitos and diving beetles visit

The second is a white bucket with a lot of algae at the bottom. It is inhabited by gnats and mosquitos.

The third is my favourite. It is a grey bin with sand at the bottom and filled with water. We put a lot of design into this one and used rocks with many crevices, moss which grows other plants and over time a cave was naturally formed which the midges like to hide in.

The final pond is a square plant pot with a lid and a hole at the top. It is full of algae and pond snails which I donated from my fish tank to him.

I don't know if this was helpful, as you have a real pond with proper plants and a lot more experience, but I hope that something here might help you to see what you will expect in your pond or perhaps things that could be added.

Great job on the pond,

Rishaan
  • Rishaan Shah said:
    Hi! Your pond is looking great. My friend's mum has a lot of plant pots and bins, and everytime I go over we make a new pond or mantain the ponds with his hose and a large bag of sand.

Currently he has 4 ponds. One is a pink sledge thing which is about a metre long and is a rocky habitat with a lot of large boulders and rocks. It is also filled with water, but much shallower than the others and with a lot of dry spots. It is intended for snails and slugs, who sometimes come when we put leaf rafts in it.
    Sometimes stuff like gnats, midges, mosquitos and diving beetles visit

The second is a white bucket with a lot of algae at the bottom. It is inhabited by gnats and mosquitos.

The third is my favourite. It is a grey bin with sand at the bottom and filled with water. We put a lot of design into this one and used rocks with many crevices, moss which grows other plants and over time a cave was naturally formed which the midges like to hide in.

The final pond is a square plant pot with a lid and a hole at the top. It is full of algae and pond snails which I donated from my fish tank to him.

I don't know if this was helpful, as you have a real pond with proper plants and a lot more experience, but I hope that something here might help you to see what you will expect in your pond or perhaps things that could be added.

Great job on the pond,

Rishaan

Hello. thanks. Yes that is very interesting and helpful even though there not real ponds I also find it interesting that he has 4 ponds and how he made slight changes like water level and things. Im hoping to attract lots of different types of Wildlife to my pond so I’m also hoping to attract water beetles. Iv seen a few beetles but I haven’t seen any swimming yet so those might not be but Cause I havnt seen any in the pond it might be they havnt arived yet but I’m still getting new visitors so hopefully I will eventually 

• here’s a small insight into the life in my pond so far there’s lots of activity 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/DoSsMpkO54k