Camera suggestions

Hi 

I wonder if anyone could recommend a descent camera with a zoom that is compatiable with airdropping pics and videos to I pads and phones , I have a Panasonic lumix which has a good zoom but am unable to airdrop pics ,
thanks

• I've got a Canon EOS, and normally take the SD card out to copy the pictures onto my laptop. However, after reading above I've now tried connecting it via a USB cable and it's just as fast to transfer so I think I'll use this method in the future.

Once my pictures are on the laptop, I save them in my Microsoft OneDrive account, that way they are accessible on any other device I use. I use OneDrive, but other cloud based services are available. At the moment I'm just using the free version of OneDrive, once I reach the limit of that I'll look to see what my best options are.

I have tried to use WiFi in the past to transfer from the camera, but I found it to slow and too much of a faff to carry out automatic syncing.
  • As I only use a I pad I can’t use the pad that come with the camera , is there such as a thing as a lead I could fit the screen card into and connect to the iPad ?
  • A quick search finds this

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-connect-usb-devices-to-ipad-1999862

I'm not an Apple person, but I assume with the correct cables, you will be able to attach a camera to your iPad

• Apple products are notoriously picky of what connects to them for security reasons.
    On the whole I would forget the idea of connecting anything physically to something like an iPad.
    You will be limited to either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi transfer only.
  • I know with Android smart devices, there is a Canon app, likewise many other big named camera makers, and I'm sure there will be for Apple devices as well. That would suggest to me the option would be download to your device from your Lumix using the app and then using the appropriate app to airdrop, from there.

Personally I download my photos via the Canon program to my desktop, using the dedicated cable, which enables me to view all photos on a decent sized screen, which in turn facilitates easier sorting and any editing.

I'm not a big fan of online storage, it costs too much and with the huge number of photos I have gained over the years, not a financially viable option, so I keep all photos on solid state drives always with a backup, if one drive fails, hopefully the second can be used to create another. It worked well with when I originally stored on CD and later DVD.

I then upload a selection to Flickr and share a few here.

• Michael B said:

I know with Android smart devices, there is a Canon app, likewise many other big named camera makers, and I'm sure there will be for Apple devices as well. That would suggest to me the option would be download to your device from your Lumix using the app and then using the appropriate app to airdrop, from there.

Personally I download my photos via the Canon program to my desktop, using the dedicated cable, which enables me to view all photos on a decent sized screen, which in turn facilitates easier sorting and any editing.

I'm not a big fan of online storage, it costs too much and with the huge number of photos I have gained over the years, not a financially viable option, so I keep all photos on solid state drives always with a backup, if one drive fails, hopefully the second can be used to create another. It worked well with when I originally stored on CD and later DVD.

I then upload a selection to Flickr and share a few here.

I've go to be honest and say I still use Flickr and pay the annual fee to store all my jpegs there. I also backup onto hard drives. The advantage of the online storage is that I still have access to my pictures wherever I am. Ive never had an iPad so have no idea of the difficulties in loading pictures to them or  processing RAW images on them though for the last 10 years of so I have always used an iMac desktop after years ion using laptops.

• Bobs_Retired said:

Michael B said:

I've go to be honest and say I still use Flickr and pay the annual fee to store all my jpegs there. I also backup onto hard drives. The advantage of the online storage is that I still have access to my pictures wherever I am. Ive never had an iPad so have no idea of the difficulties in loading pictures to them or  processing RAW images on them though for the last 10 years of so I have always used an iMac desktop after years ion using laptops.

I too have Pro, but I don't keep all on Flickr, just a selection. That is the only subscription service I use, and  they still currently are unlimited in the available storage, plus, I can choose what copyrights I want, unlike many social media platforms, where they hold the copyrights themselves. I had a snotty message from one a few years back because I watermarked my copyright on all my photos, so they blocked any with watermarks on.
    Likewise, I take in RAW then edit to jpeg. All my photos are kept in date/time sequence (for those who have wondered why all those numbers in the title box, now you know) in daily folders also date seq with a brief location tag, usually a place first name for easy reference, which for me makes for easy access, I know when within a day or two, what event took place where and when, and each photo file is a date ref and serial number. I could add time, but that is making too big a file name.
    I don't find editing on a small screen easy, it hides too many imperfections, so I don't use a tab/iPad or any smart device for editing, just viewing.
  • Michael B said:

Bobs_Retired said:

Michael B said "All my photos are kept in date/time sequence (for those who have wondered why all those numbers in the title box, now you know) in daily folders also date seq with a brief location tag, usually a place first name for easy reference, which for me makes for easy access, I know when within a day or two, what event took place where and when, and each photo file is a date ref and serial number. I could add time, but that is making too big a file name."

My filing system is slightly different - on desktop and backup hard drive each year has 12 monthly folders and then a daily folder with location added. Photos are stored in time order within each daily photo. On Flickr the photos (only jpgs) are placed into species albums so that it is easy to find a specific species when needed. Obviously you can always use the Camera Rolll feature to view daily photo shoots if required.