Camera suggestions

Hi 

I wonder if anyone could recommend a descent camera with a zoom that is compatiable with airdropping pics and videos to I pads and phones , I have a Panasonic lumix which has a good zoom but am unable to airdrop pics ,
thanks

• Airdrop is specific to apple devices only.
    The other way to consider moving files from the camera to something like an iPad for example would be via Bluetooth or a wireless connection from the camera. Both of these features are available on many cameras. And works well with my own Fujifilm XT3
  • Hi
    Yes the lumix I have does have a. Bluetooth but seems to be very temperamental. pics sometimes Bluetooth but videos don’t .
    I actually wondered if there was such a. Camera with the ability to airdrop to apple ,quite surprised apple haven’t gone down that route .
  • Smith26 said:
    Hi
    Yes the lumix I have does have a. Bluetooth but seems to be very temperamental. pics sometimes Bluetooth but videos don’t .
    I actually wondered if there was such a. Camera with the ability to airdrop to apple ,quite surprised apple haven’t gone down that route .

I suspect that Apple will not give the secret of their Airdropping away. Personally I always use the lead that comes with the camera to load direct to the computer and never have issues.

• A wired connection is probably going to be quicker too. I use a card reader and plug direct into usb port
  • As Skyenet has said, Airdrop is proprietary to Apple and they seldom license their technology to others, so I doubt you'll find a camera that will do it reliably. Apple stuff generally works poorly with other infrastructures (often deliberately!) so you'll have to look for another way. Have you tried a simple card reader to get the pics from camera to iPad? That's probably the most reliable way if you haven't got some form of PC to download to

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• PimperneBloke said:
    A wired connection is probably going to be quicker too. I use a card reader and plug direct into usb port

I must admit I always use the camera supplied wire connection and never take the card out of the camera working on the principal that using a card reader requires 4 instances of disconnecting the card per session, which to me increases the risk of card failure at some ( probablyimortant) point.

• I agree with Bobs-Retired post. I am a keen amateur photographer and prefer to use the supplied lead to download my photos rather than a card reader, as removing and replacing the card can, if you're unlucky can result in bent pins in the camera, which would prove very expensive to get repaired.

• With ‘compact flash’ cards that is a possibility for sure and something that I’m conscious of with my old canon. However I think later camera use ‘micro sd’ cards which don’t have that kind of pin arrangement.
    I’ve recently bought a ‘compact flash’/usb card reader for my laptop and find it less fussy than connecting the camera via the cable as it took ages to load up that way and the camera would often go into standby whilst it was loading. However, like I said, my camera is old and so is my laptop for that matter. Probably the fault of the ancient laptop which needs about 15 minutes to sort itself out upon start up. So plenty of time to make a cuppa tea Blush
  • Cheers Bob, I'd never even considered the SD card getting damaged... A change of process required, methinks Thumbsup
  • PimperneBloke said:
    Cheers Bob, I'd never even considered the SD card getting damaged... A change of process required, methinks

I'm sure it doesn't happen very often but once would be too many times. Also bear in mind I'm using a large capacity ultra high speed CF card in my 1DX so I really don't want to have to replace that :( but I've always used camera leads and camera manufacturer import software to get the pictures on the computer even when I was only using small SD cards.