Common Buzzard survey

This survey has been highlighted on my local observations site. It's a research into the colour variations of Buzzards in Europe & they want everyone to put their observations onto the site, selecting one of a number of different colour shades for each observation. It looks an interesting project. You can add your observations here http://aves.orn.mpg.de/~buteo/en

• That's an interesting project for some citizen science, Hazel. I notice there are not that many existing inputs from the UK except for a few clusters especially in Hertfordshire.

Do you think they want historic sightings if we have the colour shade info eg from a photo?

• I would say yes to that TJ. I think most people would have to take photos anyway & check it later. I've just looked at the lists & they go back to 2003!! I'll have a look at mine later, I'm always happy to support research that doesn't involve doing things to the birds!!

• This looks very interesting Hazel (and fun at the same time). I've never had any luck in photographing Buzzards but I’ve downloaded the PDF from the link you’ve given and I think I’ll print it off and laminate it to keep in my camera bag, perhaps another one in the car. If I see any Buzzards and I’m able to, I’ll register the information on the survey site.

• Very timely H ... Don't see many but saw one just yesterday afternoon whilst driving the car, was perched on fence post beside road & fortunately we were stopped at red light not far away but no pic unfortunately!  Just had conflab with OH to see what he remembered of colouring & we picked out same bird independently ... have made the report!

Exciting!!

• Looks like an interesting survey,certainly look into doing some input as we have a good number of Common Buzzards of a great variety of plumages.

• We get a lot of buzzards in our area so will make a note of the colour variations and submit the reports accordingly, thanks for the link Hazel.  I will also go through my photo files and take a look.