How high can a goose fly ? !

Just found this interesting article on Bar Headed Geese which you may like to read ...  HERE

• As high as the sky it seems, or at least as high as Himalayas

I think airline pilots have reported seeing them if my memory serves me correctly.

• Not sure I'd like to see a flock of geese as an airline pilot !   It is amazing the height they can fly at, quite remarkable.

• Most planes fly above 30000 ft I think so looking down on them I hope. You wouldn't want to get a flock of those in your engine intake.

• Unknown said:
    Most planes fly above 30000 ft

thank goodness they do !     I remember flying at 58,000ft once ....... you can guess what passenger plane I was lucky enough to experience ... and it cost me nothing  !  

• That struck a memory chord with me and I found a reference. Geese are bad, but hitting Whistling Swans is very, very bad: 

• Unknown said:
    I remember flying at 58,000ft once ....... you can guess what passenger plane I was lucky enough to experience ... and it cost me nothing  !  

I'm guessing  Concorde,, you lucky thing. Although it was very noisy (it sounded like ripping calico x10) , I used to get a great thrill from seeing it take off and approaching. I live under the flight path for Heathrow.

• @ Stuart,  amazing that the old Viscount was only at 6,000ft at the time of impact with the swans, shows how seriously the aviation has to take bird strikes :(

@ TJ,   Mike and I, when we lived in Fleet, Hants,  used to drive up to Heathrow in the days you could get close to the runway and we always loved seeing Concorde take off; we had an MGBGT at the time and the car shook as Concorde wound up its engines ready to roll down the runway at full speed !  

Yes, my flight on Concorde happened by pure fluke really.  Concorde was due to visit Warsaw, Poland whilst we were living out there (with Mike's job) and it was coming purely to advertise the fact B.Airways were putting on an extra 737 flight each day.   I was due to fly back to UK on leave and the company paid normal business class fare;   because Concorde was going back to London as a "special" they were only charging business class airfare so I asked what the chances were of getting on it !   Didn't expect anything really but when Mike checked he said I was booked on it, not only that, I got to Warsaw airport early and as I appeared to be first for check-in they told me I had the Queen Mother's seat number lol    Row 1D      To cut a long story shorter .... going over Europe we would have to remain sub-sonic so the pilot (Captain Brown) told us he would be heading out into the North Sea and Supersonic we would go !!   Don't think I got the smile of my face for a week lol    Aircraft itself, nothing special apart from the beauty of the exterior and in flight mode but take-off was exhilerating as we were almost catapulted down the runway  lol    As we reached Mk2 you felt a slight nudge forward as it broke the sound barrier.   As you can tell, I will never forget it !

• Wow, what an experience. Did the QM ever travel on Concorde or was it just an honorary seat? With all the your worldwide travel and experiences, is it time for a biography. LOL

• As far as I know TJ, Queen Mum flew Concorde on numerous occasions and for her 85th Birthday when she did a coastal tour of Britain lol     So my bum sat on a famous seat lol  

Found some stuff in the attic  ......

this was the actual flight I took and would have been boarding in this photo - it was sitting out on the apron at Warsaw Airport (25th Oct.1993)   If I remember rightly, we had lobster for lunch, were given Concorde ball point pen, this certificate and a couple of pin badges seen here.

now you've seen some of the pics, I'm removing them off the world wide web   (Identity theft security springs to mind  lol )