Mass poisoning of Red Kites and Buzzards in Ross Shire. - E petition for mandatory jail sentences

Following on from the atrocious mass poisoning of Red Kites and Buzzards in Ross Shire and the generous donations from The RSPB, farmers and public, to bring those responsible to justice. See story here  http://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2014/04/09/ross-shire-massacre-death-toll-rises-to-19-public-protest-this-saturday/#comment-18547

I have started an e-petition for more serve action by the government in relation to this and other  issues of persecution of our Birds of Prey, I would be most grateful if you would take the time to sign it and at least bring this issue to the attention of parliament. Lets show them what people power can do.

Sign here We need 100,00 signatures to get this important issue debated http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/63769

Many thanks for your time and consideration

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
~ Mark Twain

• Always pleased when folk raise petitions like this as if nothing else it draws the attention of the powers that be that some of us out here care for our wildlife and want this insane killing stopping.One day it will be a person,child or adult,that picks up a corpse and the poison is absorbed through the skin.Let us hope we can put a stop to this before that happens.I wonder how many pets are lost to this indiscriminate method of "pest" control.

Signed of course.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Many thanks for your comments and signatures

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• There was an item on ITV Yorkshire's Callendar news programme last week about the Red Kites in Yorkshire and the fact we in N.Yorks have a terrible record with raptor crime including the poisoning of these magnificent birds.May still be on i player if anyone is interested.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Yes I saw that Seaman poor birds is all I can say

~ Mark Twain

• Wendy S said:
    One day it will be a person,child or adult,that picks up a corpse and the poison is absorbed through the skin.Let us hope we can put a stop to this before that happens.I wonder how many pets are lost to this indiscriminate method of "pest" control.
    Absolutely right Seaman and perhaps we do need more of an emphasis about how dangerous this practice is. In this particular case there must have been enough poison to kill a small town or it was spread over a large area. Judi, I really do wish you well with this petition. I cant unfortunately say 'signed of course' like the rest as I have totally lost heart with epetitions. The badger petition resulted in 300,000 signatures against a badger cull. That resulted in a Govt debate which opposed the badger cull with the result that the badger cull went ahead. The outcome of the recent grouse licensing petition was a rather trite comment from the Govt that they won't regulate legal activity which grouse shooting is and of course imprisonment is already written into the legislation for these offences. Because the judiciary is independent of the legislature we unfortunately can't petition for maximum sentences to be imposed on every occasion. If we could ban driven shoots and require walked up shoots only it would help as the emphasis on numbers would be taken away. Judi, I hope you get a good response even if it just shows someone somewhere that people do care.
  • Unknown said:
    shows someone somewhere that people do care

If I achieve that I will be happy.

~ Mark Twain

• Judy,you have already achieved a great deal,you have showed that lots are prepared to sign your petition and obviously the stopping of these crimes will not stop without constant complaining against them.

• Thanks Sooty

~ Mark Twain

• Signed and tweeted!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Unknown said:
    If we could ban driven shoots and require walked up shoots only it would help as the emphasis on numbers would be taken away. Judi, I hope you get a good response even if it just shows someone somewhere that people do care.

That would certainly make a difference,the undriven "rough" shoots in our area do seem to be more tolerant of "pests".

Pete