Garden Warbler?

Could I have seen a garden warbler in my garden several times in the past week? It is about 14cm long, and has no trace of yellow or green on it. Paler underneath than on top, and no distinguishing features. It looks exactly as it should in the book, apart from the fact that it shouldn't be here at this time of year. I am on the coast in Sussex. 

Very grateful for any suggestions. Amaretto

• Hi Amaretto, I think too early to see Garden Warblers which should arrive around springtime onwards and too early for a lot of other warblers too; could it have been a Chiffchaff do you think as we have over wintering ones in UK ?

Regards, Hazel 

• It would be a very early arrival if you are right as they are quite late arrivals up here in Yorkshire but some species are arriving early this year. I'm not sure if Garden Warblers are starting to overwinter yet but that is another possibility.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Could be Chiffchaff although I always thought they had a bit more about them as far as id points but that on what people call as having no distinguishing features I wish I could measure a bird in the field as accurate as 14cm.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

Lesser Whitethroat is an outside possibility- there's one near me atm

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Many thanks to all for your suggestions. It's too big to be a chiffchaff. Since I posted the query I have seen what is definitely a male blackcap in the bushes, so I think the most likely thing is that it is a female blackcap with a very pale cap - there really is no sign of one, but I think that must be it.