Help - can you identify this newt.

Discovered today in damp, boggy grass on Military Way route, adjacent to Hadrians Wall walk. The newt was around 3-4cm in length. 

• sorry cant help with I.D but can I ask why you needed to pick it up as it is not recommended to handle newts. They secrete toxins from their skin, which in the wild protects them from predators, so I hope you washed your hands thoroughly after puting it back where you found it.

Oh you may want to chnge your username incase you get lots of unwanted spam!

Hopefully someone else shall be able to give you an ID

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Either smooth or palmate. Did you photograph underneath?
  • Apologies if my eyesight is shot, but is it definitely not a lizard? Looks a bit scaly on this tiny screen, and very like one my boy found the other day. Feet look lizardy too.

• Agree with Robbo. Looks like a female common/smooth newt to me. When I was a child they were fairly common and always a great pleasure to find and back then the urge to pick them up for a closer look always outweighed any other considerations.
  • In reply to Internetman:

Internetman said:
    Apologies if my eyesight is shot, but is it definitely not a lizard?

Oddly enough, I was trying to identify a lizard I photographed the other day and came across this:

How do I tell the difference between a lizard and a newt?

Quick answer
    Lizards are scaly and very quick – if you can catch it, it’s a newt!

www.froglife.org/.../

• In reply to LesleyL:

LesleyL said:

How do I tell the difference between a lizard and a newt?

Quick answer
    Lizards are scaly and very quick – if you can catch it, it’s a newt!

www.froglife.org/.../

This is a very good point! Thank you.