Wading Bird, long beak, Isles of Scilly

We saw just one of these on a beach amongst many plovers, turnstones and sanderlings. It was the same size and profile as a Greenshank, but the legs were not green and neck/breast was beige not white. Consulting books, I wonder if it was a Godwit? Any suggestions appreciated, I would love to know what it was!  Thank you.

• Looks like a Black-tailed Godwit but wait for other opinions.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I'm wondering if it's a bar-tailed godwit as that beak is distinctly upturned.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I'd go for a Bar-tailed Godwit too (possibly a juvenile). The legs don't look long enough for a Black-tailed and as Clare says a distinctly upturned bill.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi

it's a Bar tailed- note the streaked back and the supercilium goes behind the eye

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• In reply to seymouraves:

seymouraves said:
    Hi

it's a Bar tailed- note the streaked back and the supercilium goes behind the eye

S

Thank you.  Those are both useful to know.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks for the ID tips C, TJ and S, I should have remembered from Paul A's tips !! constant learning curve.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again"