Woodlark?

Three of these birds were seen in short scrub on an island at Rainham Marshes. The consensus in the hide was that they were Woodlarks, but having examined my photos I'm not so sure. They don't have 'the distinctive black mark bordered in white on the edge of its wing' and they seem to have longer tails. We couldn't confirm that the white stripes above the eyes met around the back, but 2 guys said they saw one of them raise its crest. Any ideas?

• Hi Marie
    I can't make the first photo but the second one looks like a Skylark

My Flickr photos

• Tony, you might want to revisit what you've just posted.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I would say the first is a Woodlark because you can see the black mark on it's wing quite clealy, not sure about the one in the 2nd photo which doesn't look the same to me.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Well done, Hazel. I enlarged it as much as I could and took a screenshot. I think you are right.

The second one does look like a Skylark to me.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• The eye-line is also a lot more contrasty, more obvious. This is a woodlark, because I know it's song off by heart & ocasionally get a long distance photo.

I think the beak is a bit stubbier too.

Best wishes

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:
    Tony, you might want to revisit what you've just posted.

Yes, nice one LOL

Best wishes

• Yes agree Tony I posted a Woodcock..................well woodlark woodcock they all look the same to me!

KR
    Tony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wherryman/

• I’ve just been looking at Facebook and there was a post from the warden at Rainham Marshes from the day I was there and at the hide I saw the birds. He mentioned that there were Water Pipits about. I agree that the second bird looks like a Skylark, but I’m still not sure about the black mark on the first bird’s wing. Could Water Pipits be involved?
  • No, nothing like Water pipits, they have black legs, are quite big & usually (the ones I see) are solitary.

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Thanks for that, Hazel