Help? No idea.

Saw this bird on my feeder today, admittedly new to the game. I’ve tried using the RSPB interactive tool to identify the bird with no success, unless I tripped up somewhere. First thought before consulting the tool was that it could be a dunnock but it doesn’t appear to match up with similar images of dunnock online.

If it’s really obvious then my apologies....!

If anyone can suggest a good way to identify birds easily (or more easily) please do, I would be grateful to learn. 

Thanks in advance.

• Hiya Scraggadoo welcome to the community.
    You are right it is a Dunnock, not a bird you usually see on a feeder.
    The best way I found to learn my limited knowledge was to do what you have done and that is post on here.

My Flickr photos

• Hi,
    I'm no expert so can't help with the last bit, I just know what I know, but I know that's a Dunnock, so you were right. Something I find useful if you hear birds is an app called birdNET it allows you to record bird sounds and analyses the wavelengths then gives you a result of the bird also telling you the likelihood it IS that bird. Obviously the louder the bird is or the closer you can get, the more accurate the result will be.. worth a tryout. Enjoy birding
  • In reply to Alan.:

Hi Alan. Many thanks, I was dubious about it being a dunnock due to leg colour but I stand corrected!

Interesting point re it not being a feeder bird usually. I have only just started out putting out feeders following the various guides so far. Count stands at nine different types now (ground and feeders), hope to attract more!
  • Hi Chelle,

Many thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out. Unfortunately I rely more on visual cues as I’m afflicted with a profound hearing loss.....! I do often wonder what bird it is I can hear. It’s non stop round my back garden when the birds are around.
  • You normally see them scurrying on the floor or under bushes.

My Flickr photos

• Dunnock, nice to see it on your feeder

J

• Hello Scraggadoo, as you have had your mystery bird identified, I do not need to. It is unusual to have them on the feeders, I only ever see mine on ground.

Try this website, I find it quite good for ID.

www.rspb.org.uk/.../

Good luck, and welcome to the forum from me up in the very far north of Scotland, in Caithness.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Alan.:

Alan. said:
    Hiya Scraggadoo welcome to the community.
    You are right it is a Dunnock, not a bird you usually see on a feeder.
    The best way I found to learn my limited knowledge was to do what you have done and that is post on here.

Nice photo Scraggadoo, and welcome from here in the Midlands

I think someone needs to talk to our dunnock's, they're perpetually on the feeders, as well as on the ground cleaning up!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler