In the New Forest Bird in flight

Any hints welcome :) 

• Never seen anything like it Kevin, so well done on getting a picture, now we both have to wait and see what others say it is.

Jim

My Pictures

• Not 100% sure but the dark wings and tail is typical of a warbler, as is the prominent pale stripe over the eye. A couple have markedly paler rumps, as yours does, including Sedge Warbler, but the back doesn't look flecked enough for that, so I can't go much further than generic warbler.

Nige   Flickr

• Bumping this back up for you Kevin in the hope of finding out what this bird is; I'd be inclined to agree with Nigel as it seems to have some Warbler indicatiors although as soon as I decided on one type of Warbler I then opt for another as we don't usually see most of them in UK until April time ! We have a lot of knowledgeable folk on here who should be able to nail an ID for you. Good luck.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• I'll guess either Chiffchaff or Cetti's Warbler

My Flickr photos

• It's a very unusual view of a bird which makes it tricky to identify.
    The Exif data from the image says that it was taken on the 30/9/18. Is that right because that would have been a rather crucial piece of information? That opens up a wider range of possibilities. Mind you I still don't know what it is.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Good idea for checking Exif data Tony, I didn't think to do that and it opens it up more to the Warblers as an ID as I was thinking it was taken very recently so ruled out a lot of Warblers - even early ones apart from over-wintering Chiffchaffs or Cettis as Alan suggested. Back to the drawing board and hope the puzzle can be solved.

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• I was assuming it was recent, too, but if it was taken in Sept, then I think it opens more warbler possibilities, as Hazy says.
    I'm reasonably sure it is not a Cetti's as the wing and tail feathers don't look rounded enough and it isn't really the right shade of brown. Unfortunately, the commonest warblers (incl. Chiffchaff and Willow) don't normally have the pale rump and since I have no idea of how often the others are seen down there I'm not going to speculate on a possible rarity. I'll leave that to anyone more knowledgeable :)

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to TeeJay:

Thanks. Careless of me not to say I am just sorting photos from last Autumn’s trip!! I have got another view of this bird so I’ll post it tomorrow. Thanks everyone
  • In reply to HAZY:

I’ve edited the original post to include another view of the same bird.
  • I am going with Willow Warbler.

Jim

My Pictures