Trapped pigeons in abandoned building!

Hi there i need your help. There is an abandoned building near my building block for quite some time. Several days ago i noticed the pigeons finding a way in, so i thought a lot of them might have go in. One day i noticed the agency people that sell the building inside and there were many birds flying around. I thought they would open the windows to let them go. To my dismay they properly closed everything off and left!! There are around 60 pigeons inside! I am aware of the law for trapped birds and when i called the agent to come free the birds he was extremely rude and started arguing with me that they have an access to come out!! But they dont. I manage to break in through the door and i opened couple of windows, but now everything is closed off and they have closed the door properly so i no longer can help. Could you please advise me on what should i do? This is not 1 or 2 birds but over 60 as the building has 3 storeys! Look forward to your prompt reply!
Regards, Ina

• I think you should try to contact the RSPCA and get their take on this. Your actions so far may be leaving you open to legal action and it also may be dangerous depending on the state of the building. Pigeons usually pretty good at escaping buildings if they want. Just be careful and try the officials first.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks Pete i know i could have gone in troubles, because of this but i needed to help.
    RCPSA are useless all they do is kill pigeons as they consider them as pest. I feel this organisation RSPB is better, so will call tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the reply
  • Hi Ina,    try THIS LINK to get help as rspb do not do bird rescues but an organisation for the conservation of birds.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks for coming up with that one Hazel,it's a new onre to me although it must have occurred on the forum before

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thank you Hazy i called RSPCA, they contacted the agent and he told them that the building will be demolished in two weeks. I have seen couple of buildings here demolished which were quite far from me but i was observing them before and i knew there were pigeons inside. Once they started they didnt care about them. So my prayers will be (and if you can join me) for these people to care enough and remove them before they demolish it. And if of course there will be still alive ones in two weeks!
    Please do send a prayer for these souls, the more of us pray the stronger the prayer! Thank You X <3
  • P.s Thanks again Hazy I have contacted Wildlife protection i pray they manage to help me. Fingers crossed these pigeons are lucky!
  • Hello Ina, I really hope that someone will,step up here, and if there are birds trapped in the building, that they are released as soon as possible. Good luck.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Good luck with this Ina,keep us up to date if possible please

Pete

• There is really nothing to worry about here. Pigeons will always find their way into abandoned buildings, they’re relatively safe places for them to roost, safe from predators and usually dry shelter from the worst of the weather . Having found their way in, they will definitely find their way out to feed. And back in to roost. Probably every abandoned building in the country will have pigeons inside.
  • Thank you guys for the wishes. I called RSPCA, once they called the agent he said they will demolish the building in two weeks (so RSPCA did not really care if they will die by then). Once i asked well will you make sure the pigeons are released before they start demolish it, they said well no we dont deal with that they will fly away. So i believe it is best to help them out. When i contacted Wildlife protection they told me that such people usually call pest control and kill them before they start demolishing.
    RSPCA did not show much concern or care, but this time Wildlife protection was pleasantly concerned! So im waiting to hear from they today.
    Will definitely keep you posted. Thank you once again and hope they succeed.