Woodpigeon Eyes?(More Oddities)

Every Woodpigeon I've seen seems to have an irregular shape to the pupil of the eye. Is it known if there is a beneficial or other reason for this?

My bird photos HERE

• All I know Paul is that they have the most exceptional eye-sight and even when we are inside the house behind the window they can detect you are there and the slightest movement (even when a metre or so from the window) so those eyes must give them incredible super vision.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Paul, I am in regular contact with Hein van Grouw, Senior Curator, Bird Group at the Natural History Museum, so I e-mailed him. This is his reply:

Thanks for your email. Yes, wood pigeons seem to have non-circular pupils. The pupil, however is circular but due to a spot of dark pigment in the iris the pupil seems to be non-circular. I have no idea what the reason (advantage) is for this. What I do know is that several other (tropical) species, mainly Fruit Doves, have it too.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• It was very perceptive of you to note that, Paul. I don't usually photograph Woodpigeons so I thought I'd see if one of mine exhibited the same feature.

Sure enough it does. Thanks to the other Paul for getting an expert from the NHM to explain. I would have assumed it was a non circular pupil rather than a dark mark on the iris. You learn something new everyday.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks MC, it was very kind of you to go to the trouble of finding this out. I’ve often seen Woodpigeons making abrupt course changes from way out so I always knew that they had fantastic eyesight. It’s actually quite comforting to know that no-one seems to be sure of the reason behind the pigmentation in the iris, I think the world would possibly be far worse off if there were no mysteries left for us to wonder at.  :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Just as a point of interest, I’ve also noticed that Oystercatchers seem to have the same feature in their eyes.

My bird photos HERE

• Interesting. Trim that beak in your last inset pic and you have a Pigeon...

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Interesting Paul,  I hadn't realised they had the similarities of the pupil to the woodpigeon.  I've been googling = take a look HERE

and for Paul (MC)  here's info about feral eyes/ colour, etc.    HERE 

Regards, Hazel 

• Very interesting, Hazel. I wonder if this applies to 'our' Oystercatchers as well?

My bird photos HERE

• I imagine it would apply to UK species but we'll have to wait for Aiki or one of our birdy experts to see what their opinion is, there's still such a lot we don't know about birds !   Not sure there is a definitive answer to the shape of the pupils so will be interesting if anyone finds out more info.  

Regards, Hazel 

• I know that frogs & toads have eyes that go different ways & that it helps to identify them. Interesting info on birds eyes. Gulls are often odd colours too.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France