Woodpigeon Eyes?(More Oddities)

Every Woodpigeon I've seen seems to have an irregular shape to the pupil of the eye. Is it known if there is a beneficial or other reason for this?

My bird photos HERE

• Pigeons have a wide variety of eye pigments. I noticed (from taking endless photos of her), that Corkbit does not have matching eyes. I asked Sarah about this and she said it was something related to Piebald Pidges. Here are two photos of Corkbit to show what I mean.

She has one 'Bull Eye' and one 'Orange Eye'

Here's a link for those of you who find this interesting:

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Ok, by now you may be thinking I’ve got some sort of weird eye fetish, but have you ever gazed into the eyes of a Razorbill? Probably not, so allow me to help you. I’ve had to brighten the images a good bit but I think they could be added to this thread which is fast becoming a ‘weird eye’ thread.!!

You may have to open the images large to see them better.

I once dated a girl who had really lovely eyes.....especially the glazed over bloodshot one.!! But that’s another story. :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Paul A said:
    but have you ever gazed into the eyes of a Razorbill?

lol Paul, I've never seen a Razorbill apart from on here or Television but they are very striking birds - especially their eyes  !   the markings are so beautiful so I hope I get to see them one day.   

Paul A said:
    I once dated a girl who had really lovely eyes.....especially the glazed over bloodshot one.!! But that’s another story. :-)

LOL 

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    I've never seen a Razorbill apart from on here or Television but they are very striking birds - especially their eyes  !   the markings are so beautiful so I hope I get to see them one day.

Didn't you mention that you were going to the Farnes next year? Hopefully you'll see them there. :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Paul A said:
    Didn't you mention that you were going to the Farnes next year? Hopefully you'll see them there. :-)

Indeed we are Paul and can't wait  !!      

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazel, can I suggest a visit to the Farne Isles if you've never seen razorbill, you can get very close to them at the right time of year. Its an amazing experience but wear a loose hat. The terns will try to peck your head!