Kestrels in the Quarry 2013...

The pair showed up on 13th March & were checking out the nest - here's hoping..............

Have posted all I've taken today, unedited, as I'm so excited!!!  They both flew off & now Mr Kestrel has returned to nest & sitting, waiting like a spider in the middle of a web!  Just going to video him

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Brilliant news Wendy, it's bitter sweet, but I hope he hangs around for you to spot, that would be lovely! :)

• Thanks folks for more kind posts - trying to be positive - honest!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well I sincerely hope that it's a case of 'no news is good news'  with regard to Baby GeorgeK!!!

In the meantime there has been a further visit from Mr K today...

And a short vid of his equally short visit...

He was at the top of a tree to the right of the nest hole - strange that he doesn't perch on telegraph pole or cliff face since his return - maybe it's not the same bird!!!

Another couple of pics I just found, taken on 30th August perched in exactly the same tree as he used on 28th & posted earlier & he didn't stay for long on either occasion..

Another thought which ocurred to me today was to wonder if abandonment of the nest had anything to do with the Magpies successfully nesting so close - they were in a tree maybe 12 or 15 ft above Kestrels nesthole & they raised three chicks.  First time ever this year the parent pair kept visiting my garden for food & then introduced the juveniles.  Also they were all constantly nest raiding all along the cliff top & kicking up a din as they were doing so.  Plus the fact that they were taking nestlings that maybe the Kestrels were relying on in case of vole shortage - perhaps it was this that forced the Kestrels to feed on the rat population??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• No news is always good news imho.Wendy,are you saying all men are predictable in their habits? :-)

• Invariably IMHO !!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I keep looking in to see if there have been any sightings of George, by Tony or yourself Wendy. We can only hope that he is finding plenty of food, if not, I am sure he would return to Tony.

Good to see a/the male has returned. A good sign for next year.

• Exciting news to report - a few days ago George was sighted in Monkton Nature Reserve which is just a couple of miles up the road & situated in an identical chalk quarry to mine!  A Kestrel was spotted on the ground with a kill (dove apparently) & was feeding off it (probably to large to carry away!).  What was exciting was that he had a darkly marked leg - Tony had marked his leg with indelible marker over a period of time when feeding him in the cage - so proved it was indeed George!!

Tony was contacted but by the time he got to the quarry the bird had flown & then, on Friday,  he received more news from a neighbour of his to say that there was a Kestrel with a marked leg on the telephone wire by his house, only 6 doors away from Tony's.  Tony dashed to the spot with his camera & got an ID shot before the Kestrel flew.  He then came to my house yesterday to show me the pic - he was whooping with joy, as was I.

Am waiting for the pic to be forwarded to me by email so that I can share it with you all!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• We did look at that option D but Tony wanted him to settle & aclimatise to his new quarters without further upset - also he was a bit larger than the average ringing size so he chose to mark a leg, slowly bit by bit, for later ID!

You did say that he would have the hunting instincts built in & I hoped & prayed this would be so!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Oh Wendy, that is terrific to hear - hope you get to see him in your quarry one day :) can't wait to see the pic.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks aitch - only trouble is that now Mr K is back the territory is no longer up for grabs unless, of course, George is a Georgina!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr