Kestrels in the Quarry 2013...

The pair showed up on 13th March & were checking out the nest - here's hoping..............

Have posted all I've taken today, unedited, as I'm so excited!!!  They both flew off & now Mr Kestrel has returned to nest & sitting, waiting like a spider in the middle of a web!  Just going to video him

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Lovely video clips Wendy;   were you making a cup of tea 'cos I saw Mr. Kestrel looking across to see what you were doing    LOL

Regards, Hazel 

• Didn't fancy inviting her in though H in case she helped herself to the cat lol!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks D!

And watch  out G - next vid is fully 'gore-rated' !!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Well next time that Moggie misbehaves and brings you in a small bird, just threaten her with the Kestrel   LOL !!

Regards, Hazel 

• HERE IT IS - RAT SUPPER!!!!!!!

Will post pics first to get you all acclimatised (lol)......

Couldn't make out what she had but knew it was no Vole!

Then she revealed all (or half, at least!)

Where's she going?

Higher ....

& higher & stashed it

Had enough of that - was rather large for one sitting!

going  now (she flew straight at me) and then went back to nest - maybe now she'll lay some eggs!

Sorry for fuzzy pics folks but wanted to show sequence of events - didn't know that they stashed food, thought it all had to be fresh kill!!

Now for vid - GORY!!!!...

But quite tame compared to the follow-ons which I shall only post if requested!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• That was fine Wendy, see I don't mind seeing the rat being taken there are so many of those, but it's the little birds I hesitate to look at, I know they  have to eat and all that but... same as when sprawk comes into the garden, luckily he doesn't stay around to pluck and eat, my sister is braver than me, she watched when the sprawk took and plucked a dove in her garden, took a while I believe.

So don't mind me, if you feel the need to post the more gory ones!!!!

Lot to learn

• Brilliant photos and video clip Wendy and waiting for the Hammer House of Horror follow-on    LOL    

Regards, Hazel 

• Rat supper - that's fine by me. Great vids Wendy. Looking forward to the next installment.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Things are hotting up here - Kestrel pair are around for much of the day now but not permanently in nest yet - they had better get a move on...

Mrs K started early yesterday having an early breakfast on telegraph pole in the rain...

Mr K was in nest hole waiting...

Then were in closer proximity with him, dry, in nest & her, hugging cliff face in downpour...

Then she moved down to a branch & sat there for a couple of hours...

Terrible light & conditions for pics unfortunately!

Today was better & captured this vid of Mr K preening in his favourite spot...

AND  FINALLY ....& don't forget that you asked for it - Mrs K reaching gory heights in her rat supper.......

ENJOY !!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• The preening is a joy to see, right down to the very ends of the feathers.

rat for tea?   Well it reminds me of someone eating spaghetti, no names of course!!

Lot to learn