A week in Titchwell, Norfolk

Our first visit to rspb Titchwell Marsh in 7 years so it was lovely to be back on the North Norfolk coast again.    Saturday was a beautifully sunny day and felt comfortably warm;    as we wandered down the kilometre to the beach and then back towards the visitor centre we spotted, not only a Black-winged Stilt (thought to be an escapee) but the lesser spotted Seymouraves;  description perfect ...  black beanie, muck boots, tripod with orange tape ...... YES, that had to be him... TICK !!     S was kind enough to put up with us for the next couple of hours as we wandered together towards fen hide, stopping off at an area where we saw a Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, eagerly keeping an eye open for any fleeting glances of a yellow-browed Warbler which sadly eluded us.   We did eventually catch up with three Lesser Whitethroat later that afternoon.   Always a bonus to have a birding expert on hand to ID, share valuable info and locate species so thank you S,  as we stood there a flock of distant Lapwings were spooked into the air and S identified a Peregrine falcon in amongst them;   thank you so much S,  it was a real pleasure to finally meet you.    

I probably used the bins far more than lifting the camera as I'd rather see the bird than miss it twiddling with camera settings, however, we were on the reserve for 9 hours in total and the evening light was too good not to grab the camera.     So a mix of photos which I will load in batches on this one thread.    

Adult male black-winged Stilt .........reported as an escapee as it was ringed, however, a very nice bird to see

One of the pools along the footpath down to the beach ....

The beach area .........  and the sky was that blue and the sun did shine :)

We could even see the house we were renting from the reserve  !    one with the Velux window in roof ......   the rear garden overlooks a ploughed field and we saw pink-footed geese the first evening along with crows, jackdaws, wood pigeon....also a curlew, wild rabbits and a muntjac deer crossing the field;   a Red Kite and Marsh Harrier overhead  !  

Lots of Lapwings on the pools and the colourful plumage was showing well in the sunshine .........

Back with more photos ...    now for the Redshanks, Curlew, Bk.t.Godwit and Turnstones ....      in that evening light I was telling you about !

Greylag geese sorting those feathers out !  

Curlew

Bk-t-Godwit 

back to Redshanks again 

a few more pics to come ...... in due course !

Regards, Hazel