Benji's Birdwatching

I thought I would make a new thread for my photography, this will save clogging up with loads of threads.

For starters, here are some of the many photos from over the Christmas Holidays

First off, a few photos from Staines Resevoirs, where I went to see black-necked grebe and black-throated Diver

Meadow Pipit

Pied Wagtail, I think it's the first time I've ever seen a pied wagtail in a tree!

Carrion Crow

Tried to get a shot of a wigeon, but they flew before I could get a shot of one sitting still!

There was a big flock of linnets, but this was the only decent shot I got of one!

I did find the Black-Necked Grebes! (Which were lifers for me!)

And also had the Black-Throated Diver coming quite close (again a lifer!)

That day ended well!

The next trip was to Southend-on-sea, I wasn't expecting much, but am glad I took my camera, as saw my lifer Sanderling and Turnstone there!

Sanderling

Turnstone

Also got my first decent looks (and photos) of Brant Geese

Starling were also present!

And finally a beautiful common gull

I wasn't expecting much, so was very happy.

The next few photos are from 2024, trying to up my year list

Firstly, my second BOP from the house in 2024, Sparrowhawk, also my best looks and photos of one!

Then I went to Cassiobury park, adding most of the garden birds

Nuthatch

Mandarin

This parakeet was harassing the woodpecker, trying to get it off the feeder - it didn't budge though!

And finally a trip to Lee Valley Discovery centre today, in the hopes of seeing my lifer Bittern!

After about 10 minutes I did manage to see it, but not clearly enough to get decent photos, however I heard there was a Smew further up the lake, so decided to go see that, then come back and see if the bittern would come more into the open.

Sure enough, I quickly locked onto a beautiful male Smew

I then headed back to the main discovery centre/hide, and was told the bittern was moving - after about 15 minutes it finally popped right into view!

It disappeared fairly quickly, but I went home happy!

This post is quite long, as it's a catch up from the last few days, but from now on they should be shorter!

Thanks for Looking!

Regards

Benji

• Great photos Benji love the Chiffchaff with mouthful of nesting material. 

• Great photos Benji love the Chiffchaff with mouthful of nesting material. 

Me too Benji. Also like number 2 - the little Chiffchaff singing away merrily ... Relaxed

• A great selection of Chiffchaffs Benji.

• A few from recently:

These were the only two photo's I got in a fairly long bike & walk, still fairly happy with them though!

Linnet

Dunnock - I was hoping it might sing, giving me a slightly better photo opportunity, but no such luck this time.

I was hoping to get some photos of swallows, where there were some floods, but unfortunately the floods had resided, and the swallows had disappeared. There were a few herons and egrets though:

And although I was largely unsuccessful, on the way home a fantastic opportunity came along, with a sighting of this lovely mistle thrush, which was very tame!

As you can probably guess, I went home happy!

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Benji

• I would have been very happy with those as well Benji, great pics.

• Cracking set of photos. The Linnet is really good and excellent detail. Thumbsup

• I would think you did go home very happy. Well captured Benji ... Thumbsup

• As the others have said, a great set of photos and I too would be more than happy with those. Thank you for sharing.

• A few from a rainy walk around The Serpentine on Bank Holiday Monday

This heron was very close!

(The photo is cropped here)

There were plenty of mute swans around

Along with a solitary black swan

I quite like this photo!

I tried to catch this greylag goose flying past

And finishing off with the pied wagtail, in the end the rain put me off trying to get any more photo's, but of course it stopped once we were on the way home Rolling eyes

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Benji

• A few from recently:

Saturday, a trip to Whipsnade Zoo and a few photos from the bird show there!

A wild jackdaw making use of the props

Now the non-wild ones (so people don't start going to Dunstable expecting to see lanner falcons flying around!Sweat smile)

African Pied Crow

Harris's Hawk

Lanner Falcon

A few other animals:

One of the free-roaming capybaras!

And some short-clawed otters (I think that is what they're called!)

Now onto yesterdays more wild birdwatching trip - I was hoping to get some photos of swallows, but unfortunately went home empty on that section. On the other hand I got my new best photos of a Common Tern!

I've never had one this close, especially perched!

Squawking away!

After that I kept moving and came across my first goslings of the year.

This is one of my favourites

A tried a nice shot showing off the background with this starling

This Red Kite tried diving I assume to catch a starling, but didn't actually catch anything, I did manage to get some photos of it though!

And finally a quick and relatively close fly-by from this heron

Thanks for looking!

Regards

Benji