Birds of Prey....Your Pictures Wanted!

I thought I would start a new thread dedicated to our beautiful Birds of Prey and hope you will share all your fabulous pics of them aswell ......

Please feel free to add your pics

I will kick it off with one of my regulars...Jock the Sprawk

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• I remember visiting the seal sanctuary at Gweek many years ago and recall that compared to other tourist places I visited in the area it was pretty expensive to get in. There was quite a queue, which was funnelled in to a point of no escape, before we found out how much it was, and on the way round there were also collection boxes. We did have a lovely time, but I recall it was expensive. If I go again, hopefully there will be a pensioners discount ... Relaxed.

It is a fabulous place, and like all sanctuary's, undergoing continuing refurbishment etc.

As far as I'm aware, there are no pensioners discounts (a lot of places nationally are slowly withdrawing pensioner discounts), but the ticket is valid for twelve months, which is why Mrs PR and myself made the visit again this year. Something else I've also noticed, a lot of charitable places are no longer asking for Gift Aid.

Being retired, it's still a very popular place, visiting out of peak holiday season pays dividends for access and lack of queuing. The beaver sanctuary just a short walk up the Helford River is worth a wander down to, that was interesting, and a very pleasant walk. More on that later, along with the Screech Owl Sanctuary, more Penzance coastal birds.

• Well done Ed, such a good photo capture of the Buzzard showing those lovely feathers and detail

Regards, Hazel 

• Nice Photo  Mike, I had a little drive around yesterday and saw two buzzards in seperate fields with nowhere to stop and on a single file road. both buzzards were less than 15m from the road I was on, They would have made great photos with being so close and I had the hedgerow to hide behind to take the photos, but it was not to be. but I can look at your Buzzard and there is always another day.

• Either way. It’s a great shot even at that distance. I would be very happy with that detail. 

• Nice Photo  Mike, I had a little drive around yesterday and saw two buzzards in seperate fields with nowhere to stop and on a single file road. both buzzards were less than 15m from the road I was on, They would have made great photos with being so close and I had the hedgerow to hide behind to take the photos, but it was not to be. but I can look at your Buzzard and there is always another day.

Thank you ILR.

It was a grab the camera and snap away, with the 24-240 lens. TBH, I was quite pleased with the quality, considering the slightest movement meant the wire fencing caught the AF, and that I was able to crop it by a large amount.

• G'afternoon all, it's been a surprisingly bonnie day up here in C. Scotland, we seem to be getting our Summer in instalments, can't be many left now, anyway, went over to Loch of Kinnordy just after lunch and had a great viewing of a Marsh Harrier being harassed by a gang of Corvids, looks like the ring leader was a Raven! Pics to follow but, we arrived home and spotted something way down the back field. I grabbed the bins once we were inside and saw a Buzzard with a kill, watched closely by a pair of Red Kites, all standing in the ploughed field watching the Buzzard eat (couldn't see that well, thankfully) but, by the time I'd sorted our stuff out, set up the super zoom, there were five Red Kites lined up behind the Buzzard Laughing

The delivery guy arrived and that seemed to be enough to send them all to the trees but, I got a few long range, grainy shots (no kill details)

I missed out on the five Kites but I think you get the idea Slight smile

• Just added some Marsh Harrier shots to the Loch of Kinnordy pages

Female Marsh Harrier at Loch of Kinnordy