Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

I was sent this BBC News link today which shows a rare UK sighting of a Bearded Vulture in the Peak District

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

• I guess that may be more believable Alan as it has been around the Goyt valley area before; it's always a relief to hear the bird is around and safe.... as long as reports are legit. Keep me updated lol

Regards, Hazel 

• I'd never heard of Owler Bar lol I was having a browse for a walk around Errwood reservoir a minute ago !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Could be inaccurate sightings as I'm not convinced the more knowledgeable birders would continue reporting the vulture's whereabouts as grouse shooting season is almost upon us, despite the fact this bird is not a threat to live birds or animals. As you say less experienced bird watchers would see a Buzzard soaring and think they've spotted this rarity. I hope it continues to survive well but wonder if it would ever cross the Channel or other body of water again which is not a natural thing for it to do from what I have read. Amazing that it crossed from France into southern England.

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Amazing that it crossed from France into southern England

Or cadge a lift on the Roscoff Ferry into Plymouth. CHOL:):)

• Lol Kate !!

Regards, Hazel 

• I'm with Alan on Owler Bar (an ideal name would probably be Owler Bars), the terrain isn't right for the BV, however, the sighting by Woodhead Reservoir, stands a fighting chance, particularly as it has supposedly been spotted on the north side of Bleaklow, which is just south of the Woodhead Rev'r, and more suitable territory.

I know Alan is aware of my jolly on Friday.

With no confirmed BV sightings, I decided to just go and make a day out, which I did, but more on that in another post, I'm still sifting through photos at the moment.

But, more importantly, I need to finish Mrs PR's homemade anniversary card, while she's out of the room.

• That isn't too bad a photo to see the BV, and more or less the terrain I'd expect to see it settling in.

• Thanks for the updates Alan.

Regards, Hazel 

• Bearded Vulture Derbyshire 11:10am seen today via BirdGuides; guessing (as I don't subscribe - yet !) it is staying around the general Crowden area.

Regards, Hazel 

• cheers Alan,    Mike's late Uncle was a reservoir keeper (for Woodhead and then Denton);  family lived in Tintwistle so familiar area !    

Regards, Hazel