In my garden.....

So instead of starting a new discussion everytime I get new visitors or decent shots of wildlife in the garden I shall just keep adding to this one.

So today it was the Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 of them chasing each other around the trees

Just managed to catch the 2 of them together

Then it was Woodpecker v Starlings....yes I see yous up there

Move out of my way as am coming up...

I said moooooove...

you were warned...

ah...peace to eat at last..

I Dont mind sharing with the dunnock though, just those pesky starlings I dont like lol

Dunnock, robin and thrush happily hopping about together

Gorgeousredwing still around

Flying without wings.....

I just like the different colours of the trees and sky not all grey for a change!

Mr & Mrs RRB (bad pic but it difficult to get them together)

and up last its a wee lollipop

Think that will do for today as I have probably bored you all long enough lol

• Lol Thanks PB...that's it for a wee while now...as got 400 bulbs to plant ... so the birdies can have some peace Grinning
  • Just a few to add

Totally baffled!

And a pleasant surprise

Well thats all for now folks as been busy planting bulbs, grasses and climbers ...fingers crossed  they all survive!!

Hope you are all safe and well.

• Lovely updates Linda, the squirrel definitely looks baffled - sticking his nose up in the air following its failed attempt !
  • Lovely photos of your latest visitors, Linda, especially the juveniles. It is definitely a delight watching a Squirrel trying to figure out why they cannot get to a feeder above one of those see-thru half-dome baffles, even though they can still see the feeder. Ours still sometimes stand like yours is in your photo, Linda, gazing up with that baffled expression (actually, they look more like they are plotting something!), despite our having had those baffles on 3 feeder poles for many months now. They can still enjoy anything that falls from the feeders, which can be a lot of bits, if the bird on the suet pellet feeder is a Jackdaw working on perfecting its clinging technique or a Crow stretching from the top of the feeder tray and knocking suet from the suet block on the next hook.
  • Thanks Hazel....still doesnt stop him trying...or eyeing them up from the trees ...thinking can I jump lol
  • Thanks Ann...Makes no difference if they could get to the feeder as thats a squirrel proof one aswell....only the little birds can feed from it ...anything heavier on the perches and it closes...finally all squirrel proof...but as you say the can get scraps from the ground if the little birds dont get there first as there is many!!
    "plotting something"......probably one day several squirrels will turn up and make the leap from the trees and bend the pole right over with their weight!! They do say the are smart!!! lol (I only put the fat balls out for the GSW in hope it returns again)
  • We have had to move a couple of feeder poles because the Squirrels did manage to leap to them from a nearby tree, and from the edge of a raised bed and from the ground. It is amazing how far they can actually jump. When we had a feeder hanging from a long rope from a tree branch (the rope was there when we moved here--it probably held a child's swing) at least one Squirrel worked out that it could leap to that feeder from the tree trunk, leaping UP from the trunk to grab the feeder and hang on for dear life while the whole thing swung wildly through about an 8-foot arc. After raiding our sunflower hearts, it dropped to the ground, a distance of about 7 feet, and then did it all over again a short time later. As a result, we removed that feeder and installed baffles on our feeder poles, poles which we can move to a better location if a Squirrel works out how to get to the bird food!
  • Oh wow Ann
    I watched a programme on them a couple of weeks ago...fascinating stuff.. well aware of how far they can leap and their intelligence now lol
  • Storm was brewing yesterday...

A gull heading home early

Big mistake putting out fat balls!!....

Well today was a better day...rather chilly but sun been out most of the day.....

First visitors were some lollipops awww

Hello there...did you miss me 

Finally Jenny sat for more than 3 seconds

But today was really all about finches...which was a nice change...

not sure the coaltit was too happy though

Greenies hogged the feeder aswell

until they fell out

And then the cutie goldies turned up

and then some of the usual dudes

oh why cant I get to the food...plums are yuck

Oh to be as light as a feather lol

And thats the end of yet another busy day in my garden Relaxed

• What a fun day, blimey what are you feeding those trees!!!!they were only tiny last time I looked!!!
    Great selection of birds and they are certainly enjoying the fat balls etc, the Greenies are the hoovers but it's great to have them around, and the little Coalie is so cute.