A few pics from Leighton Moss today

Started off at the salt marshes this morning where we met up with Jim x 2   !!     We were lucky enough to be there when the first Avocets arrived on reserve this year although a little distant so had to hard crop these shots......   there were four Avocets amongst the Lapwing flock but only managed to get either one or three in same pic...

There were numerous ducks and waders around although some were distant for camera lenses ...... however, the Pintail and Goosander came a bit closer .....

Mrs Pintail ......

Goosander who'd just returned from the hairdressers .......   looking very smart 

On to the main reserve and an obliging Treecreeper posed for the camera ...............   it is there each day by one of the feeding logs

showing that specially curved bill which can seek out insects in the crevices ....... 

At Grisedale hide there were 4 Great Egrets showing, some more distant than others but they kept taking off and coming back again !

Almost colliding in the air as they followed one another ...............…     unfortunately the sun was straight in front of the lens ...

and what a strange shape they look sometimes as they peer downwards  !.............    like an arrow aiming at a target 

Someone was perched distantly in one of the trees  .....................  !

then she took flight ......                    hard cropped but she is a beauty of a bird 

Great Egret's smaller grumpy cousin was on Grisedale pools too complaining bitterly when other egrets came close to his area 

but it wasn't going to take on the big brother 

A lovely snipe came out into the open 

Goodbye G.Egret as it headed off towards the salt marsh to join the others ...........

• Very nice Hazel, I thought you were only there a couple of days? but I don't blame you I would have stayed longer but seeing Jim was driving :(
  • James G said:
    I thought you were only there a couple of days? but I don't blame you I would have stayed longer but seeing Jim was driving :(

We were only there two nights Jim but did a quick visit this morning to salt marsh and first feeding log before heading back on M6.    Amazing what you can fit in in a short break !

• Lovely set of photos, Hazel. Two species of egret and Marsh Harriers is what I'd call a good day out. Just as well you got them before Ciara arrived.
  • Cheers Tony, we had a great 2 and half days on reserve and salt marsh and managed to get back in good time before the storm. Not too bad here now but I believe it hit Norfolk/Gr.London/Dorset areas bad this afternoon. I know someone that couldn't open his back door to feed the robins or Dunnock lol
  • Your pics show it was well worth the trip to LM even if only for a couple of days Hazy, the TC is a pleasure to see and of course your fabulous photos of the Robins, there seem to be plenty around, could be a good breeding year ahead?
  • Glad to hear your LM visit was as successful as it looks in your photos, Hazel! Hope you continue to have a relatively mild experience of the storm. Shame about someone unable to open the back door to feed the birds--anyone we know?! We had a few strong gusts, a few episodes of heavy rain and a couple of large branches fell into our garden from the neighbour's oak tree but we'll just add them to the growing log pile. The main temporary (I hope) puddle (I mean lake!) in our back garden is larger than we've seen it before and the lawn is squelchy and saturated but, with luck, that will drain away in a few days.
  • Unknown said:
    Hope you continue to have a relatively mild experience of the storm.

We have had complete power blackout since just before 7pm last night and water pressure was affected as it is operated by an electric pump !     No internet, not much battery on mobile but power was restored half an hour ago so making the most of it in case it goes off again !!      With living in Africa we are well used to living without modern day luxuries that we take for granted here but must say its nice to have the heating back on as the snow arrives !     

• I have a battery pack to charge the phone up and a 12 To 240v in the car so I could use the laptop if needed :)
  • Hazel, I hope that things are back to normal and stay that way--winter is not the time you want to have no heating!

Jim, I hope you have not lost your electricity, too!