A few pics from Leighton Moss today

Started off at the salt marshes this morning where we met up with Jim x 2   !!     We were lucky enough to be there when the first Avocets arrived on reserve this year although a little distant so had to hard crop these shots......   there were four Avocets amongst the Lapwing flock but only managed to get either one or three in same pic...

There were numerous ducks and waders around although some were distant for camera lenses ...... however, the Pintail and Goosander came a bit closer .....

Mrs Pintail ......

Goosander who'd just returned from the hairdressers .......   looking very smart 

On to the main reserve and an obliging Treecreeper posed for the camera ...............   it is there each day by one of the feeding logs

showing that specially curved bill which can seek out insects in the crevices ....... 

At Grisedale hide there were 4 Great Egrets showing, some more distant than others but they kept taking off and coming back again !

Almost colliding in the air as they followed one another ...............…     unfortunately the sun was straight in front of the lens ...

and what a strange shape they look sometimes as they peer downwards  !.............    like an arrow aiming at a target 

Someone was perched distantly in one of the trees  .....................  !

then she took flight ......                    hard cropped but she is a beauty of a bird 

Great Egret's smaller grumpy cousin was on Grisedale pools too complaining bitterly when other egrets came close to his area 

but it wasn't going to take on the big brother 

A lovely snipe came out into the open 

Goodbye G.Egret as it headed off towards the salt marsh to join the others ...........

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely TC pics

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Lovely pics Jim. Looks like the lighting was just right for the TC especially.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Forgot to post my last picture of the day.

Snipe

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thank you Paul, and yes the light was just right a little to bright at times.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• maybe its just the operator that needs a few photography lessons then Joy

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• No sign of the Avocets this morning,   Redshanks, Wigeon, Bk-t-Godwits were snuggled into a tight group in readiness for storm Ciara.

Lapwings as always spook at the slightest thing but it's lovely to see them in flight mode

pity the Avocets were not with them like yesterday  

Salt Marsh Robins were thankful for the waxworms and mixed seed/suet/nuts

There was a bit of territorial chasing going on and a lot of "squeaking"  murmuring sounds  at times

this was very quiet squeaking - not shouting as it looks here  !! 

probably my favourite shot today as I love the pose  !

a silent sound ............. just opening the beak but saying nothing ! 

then on to main reserve for a quick recce before heading back down M6 to Cheshire 

by the "swan" feeding log we saw a number of birds with tits, nuthatch, treecreeper, blackbird, dunnock, robins and two bank voles

I didn't take many pics as we met a very nice lady (Sarah) who was an extremely knowlegeable birder and it was fascinating listening to her birding experiences and stories;   she had incredible skills for IDing and it was such a pleasure to meet her.     

female Blackbird....

spot the treecreeper     lol 

and it seems the TC likes the suet/seed mix and not just the waxworms 

Mr Blackbird 

and yet more robins  

Regards, Hazel 

• My son tends to use it more for recording at the motherwell games and putting it on his youtube channel so that could be a good excuse for an upgrade WendyWink

• Lovely selection Hazel, Robins were certainly out in force but they are lovely little birds to photograph.

• Nice pics, Jim, although I especially like the tits, finches and TC around the feeding log.
    And nice additions, Hazy, with all the garden birds and waders. A shame the Avocets have moved on, but they often seem to start out on estuary and only come in later.

Nige   Flickr

• This is a good place to start Linda, Whistling Joe has done a good job setting this page up, it has even helped me on a couple of things.

Getting off Auto - Index

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group