Butterflies & Moths 2020

Hi All, I took an executive decision & decided to amalgamate the Butterfly & Moth threads which may make it easier to find if it's used more!

These are the old threads from 2019 Beautiful butterflies https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/200195/beautiful-butterflies-2019#pifragment-4285=1

& Mostly Moths https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/198118/mostly-moths-2019/1273216#pifragment-4285=1

To start us off here are a few from the recent traps & wine rope,

this is a lovely Satelite from the 8th january

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Not Small Skipper from reading the field notes, they apparently create a hibernaculum as soon as they hatch on their grass sheaf.

CinJ

Cin J

• Have to love a Green Hairstreak thats not read the manual.  There were half a dozen or so quite fresh looking individuals about 

CinJ

Cin J

• Who knew there were so many green cats...I spent some time with the book yesterday evening but have come no closer to helping Sandra identify the little ones.

Wendy, can you help with this one?  I found it yesterday evening about 4ft up a fabric fly curtain.  Possibly heading off to pupate but I decided to interrupt its adventure as its a South facing wall and it would have roasted today - its already +30 at 11am.  Can not decide between Painted Lady or Small Tortie - it doesn't feel quite like either - currently tucked up with some nettle leaves  

CinJ

Cin J

• One of my caterpillars has turned now more of a buffish colour. I'll get some pictures posted a little later. I've noticed too that they (I have at least 5 or 6) are eating the buds
  • Look forward to seeing those Sandra, might get an ID this time!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Germain said:
    Painted Lady or Small Tortie

Can't quite decide either Caroline, thinking more Painted Lady but not convinced yet!

If it is PL then will need pot with lid with airholes as they climb up to pupate & hang down from the lid ... it's quite fascinating ... how I first got into this butterfly/ moth rearing ... bought the kit for my Great Nephew but he wasn't all that interested, but I was! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I've had a hunt for Sandras caterpillars too, but no luck yet. I think Noctuidae & have a feeling I've seen it somewhere.

Best wishes

• Me too H, but can't bring it to mind!  Have put it out to Richard Lewington for his ID, Caroline's caterpillar too, waiting to hear back, hope he's not on hols somewhere far flung!  Getting tooooo hot to trawl through hundreds of pics ... just hit 30°c in my bedroom which is coolest space in the house!  Roll on eight o'clock & can have a more comfy stroll in fresher air!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Yes very hot here too. Managed to keep the house to 25°C today but 2 outside thermometers (one in the shade) recorded 41°C. I'm hoping to do a trap out tonight, well what else can you do when it's too hot to sleep........

Best wishes

• Was having similar thoughts myself H, hopefully made a bit more space now more runner beans finished!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr