Cornwall Sept 2024 Pt 6 Screech Owl Sanctuary

The final part of Cornwall Sept 2024, Screech Owl Sanctuary, a place Mrs PR and myself had been wanting to visit for over thirty years, of holidaying in Cornwall. Well this year, we did, and what an awesome place.

The regulars to the forum will be aware of giving wild animals and birds the space they need. Any warning messages shared here are to help new visitors and people understand, any encounters with wild animals or birds, aare under controlled conditions with handlers who know when enough is enough.

As usual, a brilliant start to the day, even with the Autumn High Tide....

and the super harvest moon (apologies for the slightly blurred photo)

and the sunrise

Starting with two storks in a paddock.

Eurasian Eagle Owl juv

Click HERE for a short video of the Eurasian Eagle Owl

the barn, which is used for indoor displays of the juvenile birds.

A juvenile kestrel

American Barn Owl or Melanistic Barn Owl UK

who was very curious of my walking stick

The Eurasian Barn Owl, as we know and recognise them.

this one was very vocal

Among the many indigenous species Screech Owl Sanctuary also cares for many non-native ones

A spectacled owl, which was used for talks

Not just birds, there are many animals being cared for

some wallabies

Meerkats

Eurasian Eagle Owl, adult this time.

A rescue fox called Teddy, a young vixen who had been kept with dogs, so rehabilitation with other foxes wasn't successful. However, she melted Mrs PR's heart.

Teddy was very curious about my leg, and like most animals, instantly sense something isn't well.

Like most animals and birds, they soon learn where the food is kept, here Teddy is with one of the keepers

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH WILD ANIMALS OR ANIMALS YOU DON'T KNOW.

THEY MAY BITE

The parents of most young animals are shown the affection of the parents by nibbling behind one of the ears. Those of you who have dogs or cats which love having behind their ears scratched, and often will push the ear on to your hand, well foxes are no different.

Back to the owls, a New Zealand Boobook Owl

For those not aware, birds of prey, used for flight demos, will have a GPS telemetry tracker. These look like a radio aerial located towards the tail of the bird, as you will see in the photo below.

White-faced scops owl, native to the Sahara Desert

The were a lot of other species not photographed, the AF struggled to pick track the eyes due to the secure enclosures used or didn't manage to get to see.

• Lemurs
  • Racoons
  • Alpacas
  • Emu's
  • Pigmy Goats

The end of a fabulous visit, and considering how hot the day was, topping 30ºC, those birds and animal were perfectly well behaved. But it was a fabulous day, and we definitely will make a return visit next year.

Back at base, and more autumnal high tide action

and a nice sunset to end the  day, and holiday with.

The end of a fabulous twelve day holiday. I will list all six parts, complete with some outtakes, you know the ones, "the one that got away", or, "it was there- honest...."

• Great selection of photos Mike;    got to say Teddy would melt my heart too. !    Lovely variety of owls, most of which we'll never likely get to see except in captivity.   The Eagle Owls are mightily impressive.    Thanks for posting up.   

Regards, Hazel