Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sorry Hazel , I missed it too. Hope yous had as much of a lovely day as yous could.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Happy anniversary to both for yesterday Hazel. I have my young Sister getting me anything that I need but not happy about staying in, I was going to go in the garden again but it clouded over and what looked like very fine snow but its stopped now but still dull so it looks like a day in again but its got to be done :(

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thanks both,
    @ Jim, it's certainly not easy being cooped up most of the time and Mike and I only tend to leave the house for a walk every other day although we are lucky enough to live amongst quiet fields and countryside tracks. When you think we have only had one week of lock down so a long way to go yet but as you say, it has to be done, and if everyone takes the advice we will be able to get through this dreadful pandemic hopefully quicker. What state we are all left in when this is over, goodness knows; it will take a long time to recover physically, mentally, and economically. Stay safe Jim and good lad for keeping to the advice when it's not easy to take.

Regards, Hazel 

• A female Black Redstart tried to build a nest on this broom hung in the shed yesterday

It was obviously a hopeless task, so we put up a shelf there & put the moss on it, but not seen her back yet.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Fingers crossed she returns and builds her nest on your shelf, what a beautiful bird to have you lucky lady.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hazel C said:
    A female Black Redstart tried to build a nest on this broom hung in the shed yesterday

Some people will try anything to get out of doing the sweeping! Slight smile

Nige   Flickr

• Thanks, everyone, for the photos and posts. Hang in there all who are self isolating; this community helps--thanks.
    Hazel, Congratulations to you and Mike on sticking it out for 40 years--lol! We'll need another 7-and-a-bit years to catch up. I trust you and Mike enjoyed the day, despite not having any wine to go with dinner! Also, I must have made a typo with the date--the birthday was on the 27th, the day before your anniversary. But I've never been picky about dates and like to spread out any celebration for as looong as possible. However, it just put me a tad farther into an at risk group--arrrgh. But we had a lovely day (with wine--found a still-good stash at the back of an old cupboard!) and no fever, no cough, so am happily another day older than I was the day before. Must take things 'one day at a time'--Mum's platitudes are becoming relevant. And the Ospreys are trickling back.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Also, I must have made a typo with the date--the birthday was on the 27th

Sorry Ann, with everything that's going on I misunderstood although I did write it down correctly on my birthday list !       Been a long day today and we've not been out at all, not even for a walk as trying to do our bit to keep indoors.   I defrosted some lamb chops so had a nice dinner instead - without wine again !      Definitely looks like restrictions will last longer than anticipated but can understand that if we are to ensure this virus doesn't rear its ugly head again too soon after the all clear.    Taking one day at a time as the thought of even weeks is pretty depressing.   Good job we have our feathered friends we can view out of the window.      Be better when we move to the apartment as ducks fly in and out so will have some entertainment as long as they don't all end up on the balcony  LOL        

Regards, Hazel 

• No problem at all, Hazel, and understandable, especially in these times. Did you get the keys to your new house? Getting dates correct is a minor thing in my view; it is not genocide (or pandemic!) for goodness sake. J and I nearly always (both of us!) forget our wedding anniversary, usually until well into the afternoon or evening and for decades he was uncertain if my birthday was the 24th or 27th. The whole thing just makes both of us laugh.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    Our 40th anniversary today and I forgot to stick a bottle of wine in the trolley  LOL

A belated Happy Anniversary, Hazel. Glad you are looking after the old boy so well. Did you just have to settle for Ruby Chard on this occasion?

Red wine is about the only thing that's keeping me going at the moment. A relative on his way home from London to Wales was kind enough to drop me off a few basics to keep me going.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream