Add your "Odds & Sods" here thread ... 2020

Starting with a first for me ... Sparrowhawk in neighbour's garden here in quarry, only ever seen a seemingly lost youngster many years ago!

Grabbed ID vid footage through d/glazed door, then battery died & by time I'd replaced it to go outside for better res a delivery driver stopped next door & frightened the bird off!! grrrrrr

Hope it's a one-off for the sake of my Spadger horde!

2019 thread here ... https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196421/add-your-odds-sods-here-thread/1275306#1275306

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thank you Mike, nothing else to do but take picture in the back garden and today i took a movie of a blue tit looking in and out of the nest box i think it was keeping and eye on what was going on in the box.

Very nice Hazel, and yes you do have a lot of space around you and it is a nice walk I remember it well, and Mike is jammy he always sees something we dont lol

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Just uploaded the video of the Blue Tit.https://youtu.be/624yHHLGR08

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Love the video, Jim--thanks. Glad you are keeping to your garden. That bird is possibly making sure there are no predators about and that the box might be attractive to a mate.

Kind regards, Ann

• Very nice clip Jim, good to see Bluey by the nesting box and fingers crossed you see it raise its brood in due course. Get the mealworms ordered !

Regards, Hazel 

• James G said:

Just uploaded the video of the Blue Tit.https://youtu.be/624yHHLGR08

Lovely video Jim.

• Thank you Ann, just trying the Nikon P1000 out on video and it does this better then the pictures.

It looks like I might still be here Hazel, so will keep an eye on them and I still have some mealworms that have been down south twice but it looks like they will be not going again :)

Thank you Mike.

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:

It looks like I might still be here Hazel, so will keep an eye on them and I still have some mealworms that have been down south twice but it looks like they will be not going again :)

Sorry you are stuck in isolation but glad you are being a good boy and not venturing out;   it's too dangerous for you with underlying health issues and hope you are getting adequate supplies delivered to your door.    Although Mike is a fit 75 year old and is going for a daily walk,  I am doing the shopping in store so he  doesn't have to come into contact with anyone.   The stores are working well to keep people 2 metres apart and have staff to limit numbers in store at any one time which is good.    I had to wait 25 mins to get into the M & S food hall but there was a lot of space inside as they were only letting in limited numbers at any one time.    Worked well and I had my own protective gloves on  !!    they gave disinfectant wipes to clean the trolley handle, etc.,   it went really smoothly and I have enough essentials to tide us over for at least 10 days.     Our 40th anniversary today and I forgot to stick a bottle of wine in the trolley  LOL     I did treat us to some Jersey Royal potatoes though :)     Keep well everyone and keep those hands washed.     

Regards, Hazel 

• Happy Anniversary Hazel Smiley

Final trip to the old house this morning, was greeted by one of the robins who used to come out within 10 seconds of me filling the feeders, quite pleased the weathers been decent the last few days as no one else feeds the birds in the communal garden so at least there'll hopefully be natural sources around

Snapped some flowers (posted in flowers thread, pretty but mainly unnamed lol)

And then I noticed a massive proboscis!!

Hopefully have time to actually get out for a walk tomorrow, as we are pretty much unpacked. Nothing much in the garden so far, but feeder has only been up one day. Seen pigeons, a couple of jackdaws, a pair of sparrows eyeing the garden up (especially with seed on a ground feeder too) and several flyovers by starlings, so fingers crossed some action will happen Slight smile

• Cracking photo of the Robin PB, I'm sure it will find food now, the Robin that regularly visits me only comes about once or twice a day and takes very little really, I'm sure he only wants to say hello!!

Lot to learn

• Happy Anniversary to you and Mike Hazy, glad to see you are looking after him well lol, especially after he kept the Kestrel to himself:-)

Lot to learn