Australian (NSW) birds - update 27th Sept. 2020

My brother from Australia sent me through a lot more photos of the birdlife in his area of New South Wales;   some are same species you have already seen from his previous photos (but different shots)  and there are some new bird species we haven't seen as well.    As there are a lot of pics I will download them in batches a few at a time;   fortunately he has named the species for us which makes my life a lot easier  lol      Having seen these photos,  I think a trip to Australia is now moving up the list    ha ha !!        

You will have seen the recent news of serious and extensive bush fires currently around Australia (particularly NSW and Victoria) which has had a serious impact not only on humans, property, habitat but also the wildlife.    We were living there (but holidaying in UK) when the last devastating/fatal bush fires occurred in Victoria (Black Sunday - February 2009)  which destroyed my brother's previous residence in Victoria;    so I will start with a photo of his old house from 2009  (he had moved from there just over a year before this fire took place and after he moved to NSW)  but knowing his old house so well it was sickening to see there was nothing left of it - except the remnants of the washing machine and the bathtub.     I remember when Mike and I re-varnished the decking area for my brother which gave such superb views of the Yarra Valley beneath and there was nothing left as the fire has swept up from the valley below with such ferocity.  These fires spread so quickly you have to ensure you evacuate well in time as even a car often can't outrun the speed of these fires as they are so often accompanied by strong winds :(     

You can probably make out the view we used to have down to the Yarra Valley beneath...…   it was even more spectacular when you stood on the decking towards the back of the property.

Now for more pleasant memories and the New South Wales birdlife:  

I have to start with this enchanting little Wren that just made me smile when I saw it  !!        A Red-backed Fairy-wren

the always popular Kookaburra which is a member of the Kingfisher family of birds.

Dollarbird    -   it looks oddly out of proportion ! 

Blue-faced Honeyeater 

Cuckoo-shrike  

Eastern Rosella 

Eastern Spinebill 

more to come after a cuppa  !!    there will be eagles, ospreys, godwits and other amazing birds ……..

Regards, Hazel 

• Wonderful photos of more amazing birds--many thanks to you and your brother, Hazel. That Spinebill is just fabulous; well, they are all pretty astonishing. Have you bought an Australian Birdbook yet?!

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks all,
    @ Ann, just received an email from my brother Graham; wait till you see the photo he sent me of an Osprey close up !! I have to get going to Derbyshire now but will post it up when I get back lol

Regards, Hazel 

• More lovely photos hazel, such a shame this dreaded COVID has put a stop to so much.
    Can't wait for the Osprey photo!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• As promised,  here ya go Ann and Catlady  !

The Eastern Osprey close up  .............  (Northern Rivers area of New South Wales) 

Regards, Hazel 

• Oh, WOW, Hazel!! (Sorry, but definitely worth shouting about it!) What a beauty and what a great photo--many thanks to you and your brother! Ospreys have white legs and feet, unlike other birds of prey who have yellow legs and feet, so this one looks like it has been in the mud somewhere some time ago (it does not look wet now so probably has not been fishing recently). Or perhaps Aussie Osps do not have legs and feet coloured like the rest of the world's Ospreys.

Kind regards, Ann

• LOL Ann, knew you would like his photo; I am itching to get out there to visit and go bird photographing with him, they have such amazing species out there and most are local to him. I don't know much about Eastern Ospreys and feet colour ! They breed close to where he lives around 12 miles down the road ! they used to be nearer on a huge bridge area but much work has been done to widen the Pacific Highway and they relocated the nesting platforms I believe.

Regards, Hazel 

• My flabber has never been so gasted Hazel, what a magnificent bird, and a phenomenal shot! Such a shame it couldn't have washed it's legs and feet for its moment in the spotlight lol
  • What amazingly colourful birds they have in NSW. Your brother is a very skillful photographer. and takes some beautiful photos. Let's hope they get this wretched virus under control so you can visit him. Fingers crossed for next year

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks so much, Graham started photography at the age of 14, first developing his own black and white pictures using our bathroom where he had all the relevant trays lined along the bath containing the necessary chemicals such as developer, fixatives, etc.,. I remember being fascinated watching the image slowly appear on the photographic paper like magic, just had to remember as a 10 year old not to open the door to the makeshift dark room at the wrong time as he was unloading the film into the canaster ! He has an amazing knowledge of photography much like some of the chaps on here like WJ and Paul A; just wish I'd started my hobby a lot earlier as it takes longer for my old memory sponge to soak in the information required these days - following 3 month lockdown I had almost forgotten the camera settings lol I can't wait to get out to Aussie as I think I've now got him addicted to finding birds to photograph and would love to tag along and learn more !! he says he rarely leaves home now without his camera :) good on ya brother, its what I like to hear !!

Regards, Hazel 

• I can add Graham's photos via an Instagram link;   neither Graham or I are fans of social media websites but he thought it may be an easier way for me to see his photos and be able to share them with you.      You will already have seen many of these photos but if I missed any, they will be on HERE

Regards, Hazel