Beautiful Butterflies 2019

• Had the honour of seeing Holly Blue settled for a few minutes on Knautia flower this morning ... no cam of course!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Nice Painted Lady, Paul, not seen many this year yet. I saw a couple of Holly blues a few days ago, but they landed really high up, this Essex Skipper was more obliging

Too busy eating to fly off!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Great capture H, such a rich colour!  Sunny, dry & reasonably warm today but such a strong wind!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Yep, excellent photos of the E. Skipper. I think I'd mistake them for Small Skippers (especially females without scent glands) but luckily(???) they don't come this far north.

Nige   Flickr

• I did get a Painted Lady after all. I got down to photograph it (on clover) and every time I got it in focus it jumped to a nearer flower, so I decided it really wanted to pose for close-ups. To be honest, it was a little worn at the wing edges, so close-ups were a good choice anyway!

Nige   Flickr

• Green-veined White feeding on Erysimum in the garden.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Nice photo's everyone, not seen a lot of Butterflies so far this year, but here are a few I have seen

Male and Female Brimstone (Fowlmere)

Meadow Brown

Small Heath

Not Sure

Dingy Skipper

Small Skipper

Painted Lady

and a Chimney Sweeper Moth

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• A Large Skipper

And against the light to show off those wing markings which are normally difficult to see. It's striking how dark the scent glands go

One of the commoner butterflies but perhaps not one of the easiest to get close to, so I was quite pleased to get this Meadow Brown.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Nigel O said:
    Yep, excellent photos of the E. Skipper. I think I'd mistake them for Small Skippers (especially females without scent glands) but luckily(???) they don't come this far north.

Thanks Nigel. The main difference is the the very end face of the antennae that are black on the Essex Skipper & Orange on the Small Skipper, like this one,

Although this one can also be id by it's scent gland, but useful for females.

Great photos by everyone, I haven't been out much lately as we had a mini heat wave, but it's going now, thank goodness!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:
    I haven't been out much lately as we had a mini heat wave

I was wondering how you were surviving, Hazel. I guess being in the west you may have escaped the worst of it. We are expecting a brief blast of it tomorrow but nothing like the rest of Europe has been experiencing. Then it's back to normal.

Gorgeous photos of the Skipper , Nigel.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream