Beautiful Butterflies 2019

3 days of sunshine & Butterflies galore. Well, not really but we did see 3 Brimstones a Red Admiral & a Peacock. I did get a shot of the Brimstone flying, but I think trying to photograph Butterflies in flight is one of the first signs of madness. Anyway, it's high time I started this thread.

This is the link to last years thread https://community.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/f/all-creatures/196195/beautiful-butterflies-2018/1219455#1219455

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks, Tony - my hubby spotted it (we didn't know what it was, except that it looked rather small) and I already had my camera on auto settings, so was lucky as it flew away shortly afterwards. We looked it up when we got home. I'm not very good at butterflies...
    Karen B Suffolk
  • thanks very much, Hazel... I love sharing my enthusiasm for wildlife on this forum (despite the technical challenges) ;-)
    Karen B Suffolk
  • Female Orange Tip.

I've no idea what type the plant is.

My bird photos HERE

• Not sure on the flower either Paul, but a lovely photo.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Very nice, Paul. The underwing of the female is really nicely marked.

I got my first Holly Blue of the year. I've been seeing them for quite a while but wouldn't settle.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• lovely photo and species Paul and Tony (we had a holly blue in the garden yesterday but it never paused for a photo and disappeared over the garage roof, same with Orange Tip  !  )

I saw plenty of Orange Tip along with Speckled Wood, Small White, Peacock and Comma butterflies today at Leighton Moss as it was a beautiful sunny day which brought out the flutterbys and the dragonflies,    

Couldn't get an OT to settle so had to be content with Small White (I think ! )   male Green-veined White (thanks to Tony)   and a Comma ......

Regards, Hazel 

• Glad the weather is nice and sunny for your LM visit, Hazel. The butterflies must be loving it. Very nice shots. I think the first one is a male Green-veined White. Have fun.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thank so much Tony, I wasn't sure of the ID as didn't see the underside so many thanks for your help. It's been a beautiful day and lots of insects around the reserve. The sound of Warbler songs everywhere was amazing along with the calling Peewits and noisy geese ! Weather looks brilliant for the next few days :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Nice spots and pics from all. Not seen any blues at all yet and in fact not much is settling for me so far, but hopefully the sun and warmth will change that.

Nige   Flickr

• Paul, TJ and Hazy, lovely photos of some butterflies not usually seen here.    I managed to get a Large White is it Pieris?  yesterday

Keeping my eyes open for more during this nice weather

Lot to learn