Mostly Moths 2019

• Hi Hazel, thanks for ID.... is all moth naming simply "say what you see"? lol
    Just read a bit earlier in the thread... congrats on the book!
    And your hawkmoth is a stunner!
  • I thought I was lucky to find one EHM caterpillar in my fuschia planter today, now a second has appeared on the same plant!

Just going down a stem after eating a couple of leaves (bottom end)

The second one happily munching away

Also, a Gypsy Moth (thanks for the ID Wendy) found on the ground, safe until I release it later

• In reply to Sandra :

Both EHMs - bottom left and top

• Lovely looking habitat for them Sandra, hope they pupate in there so you can dig them up next Spring to watch them emerging!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Sandra :

Sandra P said:
    Also, a Gypsy Moth

You'll have to name him Ernie with those legs! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:
    looks like they went off Sweetcorn

Not surprising as they are reputed to feed on blossoms of various plants like gorse, holly, heather etc!  How on earth did they get onto the sweetcorn?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• These LYU's get into everything, did you find any tiny eggs PB?
    Super Eyed HM, never had one of those H!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Forgt to post pics of unknown green caterpillar found on 5th Aug on Siberian Iris plant which was being divided

Always a nightmare to ID so I forwarded pics to Steve Ogden of wildlifeinsights.com who is very helpful, he replied ***Can't see the legs but likely to be one of the plusiinae  - only 2 prolegs - see Silver Y. The Gold Spot larvae are known for feeding on water plants such as Iris and spin cocoon amongst leaves to pupate***

Said caterpillar duly pupated on 6th Aug

Bit darker next day

15th Aug I came across this beautiful, perfect Silver Y in the pot

Next morning the weather was great so I let it go ... but not before one more pic

Bon Voyage!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

To be honest, Wendy, I didn't even think to look, I saw it and thought "where's my camera" lol
  • In reply to WendyBartter:

Lovely series :o)