Beautiful Butterflies 2018

Waiting for H to transfer her Comma over!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Good to see you still have lots of lovely butterflies despite the drought. I think it's a Large White Hazy.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I forgot that a friend mentioned this national butterfly count https://www.bigbutterflycount.org/about  so I hope you are all taking part!!!

Best wishes

• Lovely photos from everyone.

I braved the 30 C temperatures yesterday and visited Warburg which is a Wildlife Trust reserve in the Chilterns. It's usually a good place for butterflies but I struggled to find many different species.

Common Blues were the most widespread.

There was a male chasing a female around but she didn't seem very receptive.

Whether they finally got their act together I didn't get to see.

I found one Large Skipper.

Meadow Brown - quite a few around but hugging the ground

The first and only Marbled White I've seen this year. Don't know why they seem so scarce

The only Silver-washed Fritillary I saw.

I little bit disappointing but it was lovely to get out in the glorious Chiltern countryside.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Gosh you are brave TJ, we go on short walks around woods at 25-30°C but above 30 is too much now! Shut ourselves in & watch the Tour de France! We had a few butterflies on Sunday afternoon, it was supposed to be nice but cloud came over & it got very heavy, so it was cut short. Then when we got home the cloud cleared & a nice breeze got up. Typical!

A High Brown that wouldn't co-operate & come closer

& loads of small Pearl Bordered

It's amazing how different they look at different angles

We had 13 species in all, on just over about 200m of track, so not too bad.

Best wishes

• Hazel, I envy the range of species that you get in France. Lovely photos.

I was pretty exhausted from the heat when I got home. I think a limp rag would be a good analogy.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• I've just come in from the garden, a sweaty blob springs to mind!

Best wishes

• Hazel C said:

I forgot that a friend mentioned this national butterfly count https://www.bigbutterflycount.org/about  so I hope you are all taking part!!!

Trying to H but so few in my garden in recent days ... is weather currenty too hot for them I wonder??

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• A record shot of my favourite British butterfly, the Small Copper.

• lovely photos Hazel, Tony and W.E. and thanks for the large white ID Hazel, much appreciated.    Back home from LM and seeing more birds here than we did on the reserve  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• WendyBartter said:

I forgot that a friend mentioned this national butterfly count https://www.bigbutterflycount.org/about  so I hope you are all taking part!!!

Trying to H but so few in my garden in recent days ... is weather currenty too hot for them I wonder??

[/quote] There aren't many in our garden either, probably too dry for them, plenty of your Humming bird Hawkmoths though!

Went for a little walk after lunch & found this Spotted fritillary, with rather unusual underside markings, wouldn't sit so I could do a topside!

I never knew how orange they are

& another attempt at topside

& then I dashed off for a bit of shade! LOL

P.S. Lovely Copper WE

Best wishes