Amphibiens & Reptiles 2018/2019

It took me ages to find this one https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/t/110320.aspx?pi2132219858=2#838911 so thought I'd start a new one. I had a couple of newts larking around the moth trap towards the end of november, one of them had what looks like a woodlouse

& a green frog too from October

Anyone had any others recently?

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I'd heard that, too, but it was difficult to say with this character. We tried encouraging it off the path, so it wouldn't get trod on but, even with gentle prodding, it just wouldn't either walk or hop. It never budged an inch! :)

Nige   Flickr

• lol Nigel, there's just no moving the toad/froglets sometimes, I remember the difficulty at L.Moss when they were everywhere (especially early morning) and stepping very tentatively along the footpaths !      Btw,  we might nip over to Woolston Weir on Tuesday as its supposed to be sunny 21 degrees;  not sure if the salmon are running but we'll check and also ask if we see any woolston members.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Yes, I remember the froglets were everywhere on the trip to LM in June. I think some have been tempted back out now it is moist again!

I see it is due to be warmer here, but not much sun in the forecast. Let me know if you hear about the salmon, but don't worry if not as we can always do something when the winter wildfowl return in greater numbers.

Nige   Flickr

• Hazel C said:

Nice one Mike, I think it could be a toadlet though, looks warty!

I think you could be right, after enlarging the original photo.

• Cleaning out my Goldfish pond today brought a couple of surprises, firstly that I have three Frogs

Secondly that I have baby Goldfish, of which this is one I managed to catch, the other is still darting around in the pond

Such a tiddler!

Have managed to catch & transfer the two large Goldfish to a holding container but the two smaller ones are evading capture ... will carry on baling out algae ridden water tomorrow to reduce their hiding places!   It's quite a major undertaking but the algae has got out of hand!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• That's a step up from the one tiny froglet you had last time!

My parents pond used to get baby goldfish years ago, but most quickly disappeared if we didn't separate them - they were only 2-3 millimetres long, almost completely transparent and would hide under the lily leaves - very difficult to spot!

Nige   Flickr

• Think my one is 30-40mm, not that it stayed still for a measure! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I think that's more like a teenager - one of the few survivors of the really small fry :)

Nige   Flickr

• I was reading earlier that when they become larger than the largest Goldfish's mouth then it is safe to re-introduce it to the pond!

Wonder if the largest Goldfish will let me look into it's mouth? Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Cleaning out my Goldfish pond today brought a couple of surprises, firstly that I have three Frogs

Superb photos Wendy, I hope the tiddlers manage to survive, not just the fish in your pond, but the frogs as well!