Wilma's back :) update 2nd September

Old friend Wilma Grey Wagtail appeared again this afternoon and stayed for hours;     she had called in about a month ago when the painters were here but with all the work going on she didn't stay for longer than 15 mins.   Nice to see her back and we had the biggest surprise after she disappeared and then returned an hour later and brought in another 3 or 4 Wagtails with her (to be honest I lost count and there could have been 5 of them at least,  two on stone bench, two on waterfall and at one stage there was one on shed and one on garage roof so I couldn't keep up with them.    As we were outside at the time most did not stay but two did for a while.     Pity I couldn't get them on camera when they all returned together - my camera was outside on patio table but when I had to pass the pond to retrieve the camera 3 or 4 spooked leaving two Waggies.    

Was a lovely sight and hope they all return tomorrow although weather looks pretty grim and rainy :(

Here's what I did get and I'm 99% certain that Wilma was the first one to arrive as she used the same behaviour and perched on her favourite pond light as she used to do !!

most photos taken through window but did manage a couple of pics when outside. 

Here's Wilma with her best pose   lol

and Wilma perched on her favourite pond light ............watching Cyril    lol    

she wasn't bothered one bit even when there were two squirrels.......

and these were taken outside ......      now I don't know who's who in  Waggie-world   ........

it was difficult to get even two of the Waggies in one pic as they were spread out all over the place ......  

but here's two of them although not a great pic  ...

different Waggie here .............

definitely Wilma next .............      she certainly looks bonnie     lol       nice to know she had a brood :)

• Hi Tony, great to see the fox is indeed visiting your garden and amazed that the hoggie is so close and that they seem to be living in harmony lol     Hope your Jay returns for his share of the nuts !

• Unknown said:
    I can officially confirm that last night it had a better dinner than we did, lol!

lol Marina,  so often I look in our fridge and find the birds have a better choice in the garage store bins than we do -  even the mealworms eat better    !

• Unknown said:
    even the mealworms eat better 

ROFL Hazel!!!

PS I think the same about the cats and the birds ....

• Just another update on Wilma who turned up today with three other Grey Wagtails - I am guessing her offspring.   We have had 4 of them in the garden a few weeks ago but it was nice to see them return and remain for over half an hour bathing and preening lol       Timing couldn't have been worse I was in the middle of changing some camera settings and shortly afterwards I had to go out so these were quick grab and go pics which had to be taken through the window so they are pretty rough to say the least  !     Couldn't get all four in the pic as they were all over the rockery area, pond, waterfall and the only one I got with three together was blurred so here's the Waggies and two of them together.....

and here's the blurry shot with three on the run off - all bathing  !!    It was a really beautiful sight :)

I think this next one is Wilma ................   

• They are very lovely, Hazel, but then you know that!  It was probably 15 or 20 years ago when we saw one along the river in Winchester.  About time we saw another, don't you think?  Although I don't suppose you'd care to ship one to us like you did with that little wiggler to Wendy--lol!  But wait--I just remembered, we don't have a garden pond, just a plant pot saucer on top of a chimney pot standing on our garden path!  Keeps the bathers up off the ground, away from the bird-watching neighbourhood cats.)

• lol Ann,   they certainly made me smile when they all came in and started bathing frantically and preening making themselves completely at home !    pity I didn't have a few mealworms sprinkled on the rocks for them like we used to do with Wilma.    I could bubble-wrap a couple up for you but they'd insist on sharing your bath being such water babies   lol    

• Thanks, Hazel, but maybe not.  The bath is normally full of bird feeders awaiting scrubbing--not sure the Waggies would like all that soap!

• I bet you were thrilled to bits to see them altogether again Hazy, they seem to really enjoy the water, Wilma is looking good and pleased with herself, I wonder will they stay around now - I can see you outside taking millions of photos if they do.:-)

• Hi Gaynor,  yes I was thrilled to see the group as it made up for not seeing Sparrows in the garden that also enjoy bathing together !   These delightful little birds were just chilling out soaking themselves and sometimes just laying flat in the water whilst other's were preening and checking if there were any mealies around lol    The problem is they spook very easily at the moment and the slightest movement tends to send them into flight mode;  even Wilma is more nervous these days when before I used to get within a couple of metres of her if I remained still.   Little steps taken if they come back and see if I can gain their trust but I doubt the group will keep returning.   I really hope they are Wilma's offspring as it completes the story of her turning up, finding a beau that she brought to the garden with her and now her babes  :)  Will have camera on standby lol

• Lovely to see a little family group bathing, Hazel. I'll bet Wilma brought her family back to where she was made so welcome. Hope you get some more pictures although the forecast today is for rain spreading in from the west. Still sunny here so must get some gardening done.