Troup Head & Moray Firth by Boat!

I had the pleasure of going out in a rigid inflatable boat this afternoon for a couple of hours around the coast at Macduff, Gardenstown, Crovie and Pennan. 

Bit choppy but there was still plenty to see. We had only travelled a few miles when we encountered our first Fulmar playing chicken with us in front of the boat. He would dive on stiff wings and glide over the top of us giving us a sideways glance as he flew by. They are a great little bird. We stopped off at a number of little inlets and rocky outcrops and took in the sight of Grey seals and Common seals that were hauled out onto the rocks. Some took to the water and gave us the once over from the safety of the water while the others kept a wary eye on us.

Next up was the Gannets, I think our biggest seabird. They were flying over us so I imagine that they were on their way to feeding grounds. Every so often we had to watch out for Razorbills in the water in front of us. It was kinda neat to watch them "power slide" their way over the sea, powered by their legs, before catching a wave high enough to launch them into the air! Our guide pointed out the nesting area's of the Puffins that breed around here and within minutes we were able to see them swimming in the sea around us. A lot smaller than some people realise but still very cute all the same.

We entered a small steep sided inlet where our guide told us that smugglers would have used many years ago. It was in this inlet that he pointed out a bit of a rarity in this area, but apparently becoming more common, the Black Guillemot. There was plenty of "ordinary" Guillemots on the cliffs and sea but this was the first time I had seen the "Black" version. Another tick for me!

Next up was the Gannet Colony at Troup Head and boy was it busy! Lots of noise and activity as birds took off and landed, with many returning back to their nest sites with nesting material. Various ages of Gannets were seen and identifiable by the black streaks through their main flight feathers. In amongst all this activity we spotted a Great Skua (nicknamed Bonxie) trying hard to harry a Gannet into throwing up its last feed so it could get a free meal although it was unsuccessful this time round.

Another couple of species spotted were the Shags with their dark green sheen and their counterparts the cormorants. At seabird city it was very noticeable how the different strata of rock were home to the different species with Shags and Cormorants at the bottom, nearest the sea while next up were Guillemots and Razorbills, followed by Kittiwakes and the Gannets. The Puffins had their own areas where they nest in the grassy sides of the cliffs in burrows either dug by them selves or old rabbit burrows.

Some more "common" species that we spotted along the coast were Herring Gulls and Black Backed Gulls on the look out for free meals.

Our two hour trip passed very quickly and we began to head for Banff Harbour. Our last spot of the day was a solitary Porpoise that was swimming fairly close to the steep cliffs. We cut the engines and hung about to see if he would play ball but apart from coming up for a few breaths we didn't see much of him while we were there. Apparently it is round about now that the Minke Whales will be returning to the area for feeding and also Basking Sharks which have also been spotted in the Moray Firth. No joy for us today, but maybe the next time! 

We arrived back at Banff Harbour just before five pm having thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. To see the cliffs, scenery and the abundant wildlife from a different perspective then try a visit by boat, you won't be disappointed, I can't wait till I get a chance to head out again.

"Are you sure it's not one of them?"