A general description of the place.

Troup Head was relatively unknown to most but the fervent of bird watchers and occasional visitors to the locality for many years and was certainly not a place that you would take your children on a picnic. There was the added obstacle of having to navigate to the site and pass through the courtyard of a busy working farm. On my first visit there many years ago, I felt that I was intruding on their privacy and decided to knock at the farmhouse door to ask permission to take the car along to the car park farther along from the farm. I was warmly greeted and the box of Quality Street I presented the lady was well received.

Prior to the RSPB taking over the area, there was a fence which ran along the cliff top stopping the cattle and sheep from wandering over the edge and to the North I remember a sign warning people of a bull in the park. Fairly docile as I remember but I did stick to the edges of the field if I ever went that way. The car park as it exists now was just an area where the farmer stored old trailers and disused farm equipment but there was more than enough room to park a few cars out of the way.

From the car park a wee walk to the cliffs and the spectacular views that are on offer there.  The types of bird seen here are many and varied as it not only has the biggest mainland nesting site for Gannets but there are also huge parts of the cliffs used by Fulmars, Razors, guillemots, shags and Kittiwakes. There are the occasional herring gull nests found and of course there used to be a thriving Puffin presence here. Sadly now though, the puffin here is in decline and over the last few years I have only seen solitary puffins looking forlornly out to sea.

Happily, since the RSPB has taken over the site there is now a proper car park, maps, directional signs from the main road, information boards and gates in the fences to provide easy access to the cliffs. Still not a place to take young children though unless you have them on a leash! The wearing of stout shoes or walking boots I would strongly recommend and even in the best of days a windproof jacket won't go amiss as it is fairly breezy at the top.

The opportunity for close photography is brilliant and with a long lens is unsurpassed.  The birds are literally flying over your head sometimes within an arms length. If you suffer from any vertigo like me then you'll know how close you can venture to the edge.

As to other the animals etc. you may find here, well, look out for dolphins, minke whales and even the occasional orca (not by me yet though) but they do pass by and have been seen by the local fishermen as my dad in law will vouch. On land; deer, foxes, burnet moths, butterflies (common blues) and a whole plethora of coastal and field birds can be seen as you stroll up the the headland

All in all, this site is well worth a visit and is still relatively quiet and peaceful.

I take only photos and leave only footprints.