Banffshire Wildlife

Not quite Troup Head I know but I thought that I might as well post on here a couple of recent sightings that I saw while in and around Banff. As things go on I think that I may post some more bits and pieces about the wildlife seen in the surrounding area. Troup Head shall be mentioned as well but I'm not out there on a regular basis unfortunately!

Anyway, biggest thrill for me so far this summer was on Saturday the 26th of June whilst walking along the disused railway line at Scotstown near Banff. Initially I thought that I was witnessing a dolphin feeding on fish as there have been (and still are) large amounts of birds feeding on shoals just below the surface. It only turns out to be a solitary Minke Whale feeding less than half a mile off shore! I sat and watched as it gracefully surfaced and glided through the water before slowly submerging again. Occasionally it would thrash through the water just below the surface obviously enjoying a good feast. It certainly attracted the attention of many who sat and watched it from the beach. It was joined in the vicinity by a couple of grey seals who were obviously taking pickings as well along with gannets who were dive bombing into the sea to catch fish. Definitely the highlight for me so far.

On top of that I have witnessed sandmartins flying continously in the sky's over Banff and wondered where on earth they could be nesting. It was quite by chance that I caught some of them entering and leaving their burrows, another first for me! Again I sat and watched for as long as I dared before the dog got fed up and dragged me with him. No camera with me on the day so I unfortunately did not get a chance of even a scrappy picture!

Anyway hope someone out there enjoys reading this highlight of mine!!

Colin

"Are you sure it's not one of them?"