Saltholme’s entrance fee for non-members goes up to £5.00 per adult from the 1st April 2023

As in the above! I think the .rise for adult non-members is fair. Less than other similar RSPB reserves!

Regards,

Ian.

• Just in time for the school holiday. Poorly timed, to say the least.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hello Clare,
    Our entrance fee change was timed to coincide with the start of the new financial year. This year, this also coincides with the start of the Easter holidays. This is unavoidable. However, we have done our best to notify people before 1 April.
    Our revised entrance fees are necessary due to rising costs; our prices are still below the average for similar attractions in the area. The money raised through the entrance fees goes directly towards the maintenance of our Visitor Centre and reserve, ensuring the RSPB can manage this important site for many years to come.
  • Lydia Cave said:
    Hello Clare,
    Our entrance fee change was timed to coincide with the start of the new financial year. This year, this also coincides with the start of the Easter holidays. This is unavoidable. However, we have done our best to notify people before 1 April.
    Our revised entrance fees are necessary due to rising costs; our prices are still below the average for similar attractions in the area. The money raised through the entrance fees goes directly towards the maintenance of our Visitor Centre and reserve, ensuring the RSPB can manage this important site for many years to come.

There was me thinking it was an April fools Day Joke just before the holiday. Surely could have waited till after Easter Holidays. Though it is refreshing to know that you won't be putting any other prices up at Saltholme until at least 1 April 2024 now that you have set this precedent of having to do things at the beginning of the financial year.

• Bobs_Retired said:

Lydia Cave said:
    Hello Clare,

There was me thinking it was an April fools Day Joke just before the holiday. Surely could have waited till after Easter Holidays. Though it is refreshing to know that you won't be putting any other prices up at Saltholme until at least 1 April 2024 now that you have set this precedent of having to do things at the beginning of the financial year.

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

Bobs_Retired said:

Lydia Cave said:
    Hello Clare,

It's the timing that's wrong Ian - just before the Easter Holiday when there is a financial crisis along with the ridiculous statement that it had to be done at the start of a Final year.

• Unknown said:

As in the above! I think the .rise for adult non-members is fair. Less than other similar RSPB reserves!

Other organisations have put admission fees up more. I must say Bob. It’s probably those that have to pay the admission fee that will complain. But on reading from other sources it appears that most non-members say that the increase by just £1.00 per adult is fare!

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

THOMO said:

An example is the admission price at Washington Wetlands.

Other organisations have put admission fees up more. I must say Bob. It’s probably those that have to pay the admission fee that will complain. But on reading from other sources it appears that most non-members say that the increase by just £1.00 per adult is fare!

Regards,

Ian.

• Bobs_Retired said:

THOMO said:

Bobs_Retired said:

Lydia Cave said:
    Hello Clare,

This is the lowest admission charge charge of all WWT reserves.Caerlaverock and still more than Saltholme and Caerlaverock does not have any breeding captive wild bird birds like Washington Wetlands in case some replies that is why WWT reserve have the more expensive admission charges. In fact the RSPB reserves often have less expensive admission charges than other similar organisation. So may I suggest putting up the admission charge by £1.00 per adult visit is very fair and compared to other similar organisations the RSPB should have put the admission by a much higher price per person.
    Heres the WWT Caerlaverock admission charges! Also notice at Caerlaverock the present child admission charge is stillmore than the increase of £1.00 per adult to £5.00. I could also find more similar organisation that charge more per non-members. So that shows that the RSPB should charge more than they do elsewhere. Even the showpiece RSPB reserve at Minsmere charge far less than most WWT reserves as well as a number of smaller reserves by other organisations in the UK. So the present £9.00 admission charge is far less than most WWT reserves in the UK excluding the two WWT reserves mentioned by me!

It's the timing that's wrong Ian - just before the Easter Holiday when there is a financial crisis along with the ridiculous statement that it had to be done at the start of a Final year.

Regards,

Ian.

• I correct one item. WWT Washington Wetlands is actually slightly more expensive than the RSPB’s showpiece reserve Minsmere and WWT Caerlaverock is slightly less than RSPB Minsmere. Which again strengthens my case that the RSPB should increase their admission charges by more. Unlike WWT and other similar organisations that raise their admission charges every12 months, unlike thw RSPB who only raise their admission charges after 2-3 years..

Regards,

Ian.

• Clare Bailey said:
    Just in time for the school holiday. Poorly timed, to say the least.

Also the  Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust are also putting there admission charges up at the same time 1st April 2023

Regards,

Ian.