When shall I go?

I've been wanting to go to Rainham in the summer holidays, but I'm wandering when would be the best time in the holidays to see the most birds. Should I go soon, or in early autumn?

Yellowhamer23

• Hi Yellowhammer

I have always found the best time to visit Rainham has been weather dependant not the time of the year even though this effects the species you may see. I have found as long as the sun is out and it is not too windy. Have a great day out whenever you do choose to go and please let us all know how the day went.

Regards

Shane

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• As a local who visits the reserve at least one, often twice a week, my advice would be - as long as you don't live too far away- visit now, and again in early autumn. Although winter is the best time to see birds in large numbers.

There is always something to see, but what's about definitely changes with the seasons. At the moment, post breeding season, things have quietened down a bit, but there are still a lot of the summer visitors around, with dragon flies bringing out Hobbies and quite a few other birds of prey being seen. Over the next few weeks I would think grass snakes will become more evident as they chase the young marsh frogs, and by eary September there should be a lot of passage migrants about - so the chance to see something different.

• Thanks again for your help, I am thinking about going early autumn-ish.

• On 'seasonal highlights' it says that you see the most birds in autumn such as marsh harriers, merlins, peregrines and stonechats- some of the birds I would like to see.