Bumble Bees

I have put a notice on the wildlife forum that I particularly wanted Rainham birders to notice.

I have recently joined the BUMBLEBEE CONSERVATION TRUST which is working closely with R.S.P.B. and feel that Rainham Marsh lovers would be interested because we have very bee friendly gardens planted, and its as important for birds, as well as us, to help bees.

The Trust is presided over by Chris Packham. PLEASE look at their website!

If any other bee loving birders have other useful information, I would love to hear it.

Joy

A smile costs nothing, but may be treasured more than gold.

• Thanks for the info Joy. I will have a look.

I saw a Bumblebee as late as early December this year feeding on some of my winter flowering plants! 

Regards

Craig

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• Unknown said:

Thanks for the info Joy. I will have a look.

I saw a Bumblebee as late as early December this year feeding on some of my winter flowering plants! 

Regards

Craig

Craig,  I thought you would be interested in this paragraph from 'gardening for bumblebees' , a booklet sent from the bumblebee trust.:-

'Since the late1980's in the south of England,buff-tailed bumblebees have started to appear throughout the year. Queens can be seen in November, and workers are quite common in December and January,collecting pollen from garden shrubs, particularly Mahonia.It seems that this species has adapted to the combination of exotic garden plants that provide flowers throughout the year together with increasingly mild winters, and has become more-or-less continuously brooded. More of the country can expect to see bumblebees at Christmas if the climate continues to warm as predicted.'

That bumblebee, Bombus terrestris is a very common bee, so we need to garden even more thoughtfully in future if it is going to need Christmas dinner!!!!!!!

Joy

• Hi Joy,

Thats incredible! I wonder how this species faired when we got hit by the snow?

There is no doubt that a combination of exotic plants in gardens and a warmer climate are the main contributors!

Should remain the species the Christmas bee :)

Craig

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• A lovely Queen buff tailed bumblebee was out and about in the woodland area to-day. Did anyone see any other bees out and about on the reserve to-day?

I'd love to know!