Ruddy Duck?

Hello all,

I was at Rainham Marshes on Monday and watching birds from the Shooting Butts Hide, but I am truly rubbish at identifying them.  Can anyone confirm if ruddy ducks have been around recently?  I was really excited to see them, but doubted myself afterwards.

I was also looking out for Pink-Footed Geese on the move, but wasn't sure if I was looking at Pink-Footed Geese or Greylag Geese.  Do you have any tips for telling the two apart?

Thanks for your help!

• Hi pippy,

to answer your question regarding Ruddy ducks at Rainham, I have been over there most weekends and not heard or seen this species on the reserve. However this being Rainham I would not rule them out.

The species that it may have been if it wasnt a Ruddy duck is a Shoveler duck. The other species that are present at the moment are Pintail, Shoveler, Mallard, Gadwall, Teal, Wigeon, Tufted duck and Pochard.

Here is a really good website to keep track of what is seen at Rainham and other local sites in the Southeast and London:

http://www.elbf.co.uk/2010%20sightings/bird%20sightings%2010/birdsightings%2010.htm

If you are an RSPB member and have received the recent Birds November issue; there is a really good article on the ID'ing of all the species of geese that winter in the UK.

The Pink-footed geese you have seen at Rainham are unusal in that they normally migrate as far as East Anglia but the four at Rainham have flown that bit further south from thier summer grounds in Greenland and Iceland (about 800 to 1100 miles!! journey). When I first saw them they were fast asleep and who can blame them after that distance.

Overall we get about 350,000 of this species in the UK that over winter and the best way to spot these is by its silver like back and a very small beak (black with a distinct pink stripe) and head. Also the feet and legs are pink and overal brown appearance.

This species is smaller and darker than the Greylag's that are present on the reserve. They do not honk like the Greylag either and give out a "wink wink" call.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Craig

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

• This definitely does help, thank you Craig.  I am pretty sure the ducks I saw were either Ruddy Ducks or Pintails, because the beak although faded, had a definite blue tinge.  I remember looking at the colours in the book and feeling pretty confident that it was a Ruddy Duck in autumn or winter plumage, but then saw a Pintail badge in the shop and doubted myself.  I am guessing at this time of year a Pintail wouldn't have it's distinctive pin tail that would help me ID it?!

However, I can confidently say that I did see Wigeons, Little Egrets and Stonechats (confirmed byasking  another visitor).  And of course lots of Wood Pigeons, Starlings, Collared Doves and Goldfinches around the visitor building.  I have to say, I didn't expect to see so many different species in the marshes - it was great!

Thanks for the tip on the article in Birds, it turned up last night so I am getting stuck in today!

Happy birding,

Pippy

• Hi pippy,

glad I could help. The Pintail that I have seen and been both sexes and the males are now in thier breeding plummages but thier tails are not yet fully grown judging by the birds I have witnessed.

The Pintail also has a very elegant stance when swimming with its head held high.

heres a picture of a male (with the smaller tail)

http://mrhyker.tripod.com/floraandfauna/pintailedduck.jpg

thanks

Craig

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein