Eiders?

Was walking along the estuary (rainham marshes) on Saturday and spotted a group of large black and white waterfowl floating near shore. Im sure they were Eiders but the species is not known to spend the summer in the south of Engand..

anyone else spotted them or could tell me what else they could be?

• Hi Chov

I did reply in the identify this forum but I too went to Rainham Marshes, in fact its my favourite of the reserves I visit, I went there the day before you and there were lots of Shelducks around and I was wondering if that was what you saw. Check RSPB's bird identifying page.

shane 

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

•  

Hi Chov

Sincerely apologies for the tardy reply but I did not realise that the Forum element of the Rainham Marshes Blog was active! As was pointed out, they would indeed have been Shelduck of whcih have a good number. There are usually on the river and there in fact two broods of them at the moment bobbing around!

all the best

Howard

Chov said:

Was walking along the estuary (rainham marshes) on Saturday and spotted a group of large black and white waterfowl floating near shore. Im sure they were Eiders but the species is not known to spend the summer in the south of Engand..

anyone else spotted them or could tell me what else they could be?

Howard Vaughan, Information Officer

• Thanks Howard, returned a week later to realise there were Shellduck. Caught a glimpse of a family along the estuary.

Thanks for the reply